13 week old pullet puffing up

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
One of my 13 ( almost 14 ) week old leghorn pullet, Mimzy, puffs up at me when I put my hand out in front of her to give her a treat. She’ll flair up & then take the treat very quickly. I’ve never had any of my girls do that — only my leghorn roos — and i was wondering if it was mostly because she was scared or because she’s just being aggressive? They all a pretty flighty, but I was finally able to get all of the leghorn pullets to eat out of my hand just a few days ago. Today was the first time she raised her hackle feathers.

Is it something I’m doing wrong?

Hmmmm...might be a cockerel?
Has comb been that red for long?
i hope not, all the leghorn cockerels i used to have were mean. they’re all officially 14 weeks old today and when the cockerels were this age, they already have pretty developed combs and wattles. but, no, it started getting redder not that long ago.

here’s some more pictures of her(?):
8C6E5F59-FA00-4395-BA38-52713724283F.jpeg

19B11398-C712-451D-AD2C-9FEA87369887.jpeg

Last edited:
Even if it is a she, they can get 'pecky'.
Peck her back, do not allow any bird to peck at your hands aggressively.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

do you think it’s the best way to nip this in the bud? it won’t make her mean or more aggressive? or do you really think it’s her being aggressive or more because she’s doing it out of fear?
It worked for me....It think it's kind of a feed aggression from hand feeding rather than fear.

I agree with @aart that pecking her back, fast, if you can, does work. You were suprised the first time, but now you'll be ready.
Today one of my 23 week old pullets pecked my leg, from behind, while I was out there. I looked, and there she was! I too wasn't ready, but now I'll be watching for her.
Mary

47FFD6B8-9A7A-4687-8006-CC72A94F7357.jpeg

not much of a confirmation, but they’ll be 17 weeks tomorrow and pip & mimzy ( pictured ) were really interested in the nesting boxes this morning. they both got out a little after, but it could’ve been because i walked in. i don’t know, but it’s something

Back
Top Bottom