13 week old pullet puffing up

do you think it’s the best way to nip this in the bud? it won’t make her mean or more aggressive? or do you really think it’s her being aggressive or more because she’s doing it out of fear?
It worked for me....It think it's kind of a feed aggression from hand feeding rather than fear.

It worked for me....It think it's kind of a feed aggression from hand feeding rather than fear.
that was only the 3rd time i tried feeding her by hand and none of the others were around when she did it. the first time she was fine and didn’t puff up; the other 3 were with her that time. idk, it really caught me off guard when she did it. the others don’t do it and the big chickens never did it either.

I agree with @aart that pecking her back, fast, if you can, does work. You were suprised the first time, but now you'll be ready.
Today one of my 23 week old pullets pecked my leg, from behind, while I was out there. I looked, and there she was! I too wasn't ready, but now I'll be watching for her.
Mary

I'm with @aart I think that may be a cockerel too. Too young to have wattles and a comb like that.
DD9C4F75-387A-4B43-814D-85F09B8848AF.jpeg
A18BC0A8-56F5-4145-8F01-2B965AA14C44.jpeg

this is what her hackle feathers look like

Back
Top Bottom