13 weeks, time to co-mingle.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabigbird, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Our 13 week-olds now have their big girl feathers and are turning pinkish red on their combs.
    They are almost as big as the sex link hens now.
    So next week after I give the big girls their second dusting for lice, it's time to blend them together.
    The young ones have been in a grow out pen attached to the chicken run, so they all know each other.
    The only problem is that we have one chronic broody hen with a nasty disposition and two monster hens I refer to as
    the "SUMO SISTERS".
    They were and still are mean to the one year old sex links, so I'm thinking of putting the nasty girls into the grow-out pen when the
    young ones move into the general population.
    I'm hoping that will help the new girls join the flock and then reintroduce the nasties later.
    I'm just not sure how long to sequester the bullies away from the flock and will this change their rank in the
    pecking order or maybe even change their behavior to the others.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's just what I'd do, if only to protect everyone from the Sumo sisters (cute!) They say a week. I don't know if it will really make them "new and lowest in the pecking order," though, if all can still see and hear each other.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by