13 wk old polish acting lethargic, fluffed up, droopy wings and eyes, everything in the book.

If you have the liquid Corid, give her a couple of drops into her beak with a dropper or syringe, but only if she is conscious enough to swallow. Repeat that twice a day. If you bought the powder, add 1 1/2 tsp to 2 tsp of water, and that is equal in strength.

If she dies, and I hope she does not, refrigerate her body in a plastic garbage bag, but don’t freeze it. Contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Here is a link with contacts:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely planning on doing that. As for an update, miraculously she's doing a lot better today. I put her in a box with heat so she could be warm when she died (and the dang rest of the flock wouldn't eat her), I got her some water and feed and I held it up to her beak and she'd drink it, eventually she would stretch her neck out to drink it then got to the point where she's lean over to eat and drink.

I put her in a dog crate overnight, doing a lot better today (actually complains when you touch her or pick her up), and her poop's looking a lot more normal. Unfortunately she has a hurt foot, I don't think it's broken but it's definitely not okay. She still isn't walking around much (still more than yesterday though) but she kinda shuffles, and when she lies down she's leaning on her side with her leg up, and when you pick her up her foot automatically curls up instead of laying flat. I don't think this has to do with her almost dying yesterday, because I dropped her and I think that caused it, she has fallen from heights higher than that before and been fine, but she must of landed weirdly or something. Any tips on that? And now I can't tell if she's not moving because she feels sick or because of her foot.

I'll keep you updated.

I am glad that she seems a little better, but the lame leg is still concerning. Hopefully, it is an injury and not a sign of Mareks. Resting her leg for a few days may help. Look for any swelling in the leg or joints, any bruising or broken bone, and look for any bumblefoot scabs on the foot pad.

I am glad that she seems a little better, but the lame leg is still concerning. Hopefully, it is an injury and not a sign of Mareks. Resting her leg for a few days may help. Look for any swelling in the leg or joints, any bruising or broken bone, and look for any bumblefoot scabs on the foot pad.

Thank you, again, this kind of support was really helpful, even just the moral support. It's amazing how much better she's doing today, she looks normal (or as normal as she has been). No more limping, walking around, scratching the ground even, peeping happily. I think she's going to be okay. I checked for all the things you said, she seems fine, the only noticeable things is that her middle toe seems slightly "turned" if that makes sense. And when she walks she seems to like to step on her own feet.

Honestly I don't think she had any kind of illness, because on Thursday she was already doing so much better after only a few hours and that was only because of food and water and heat. If she had some kind of disease, she wouldn't have improved so much without some kind of medicine. I hadn't even used the poultry drench yet. And I haven't used the Corid at all. If you disagree with this, please let me know.

I think something had been wrong with her leg for a while. As I've mentioned, before she was always very "slow" and stood idle a lot of the time, I thought that was because of vision problems but maybe she's always had some kind of leg problem that I didn't pick up on because I'm a dumb chicken newbie, and that slowed her down, though this is just a guess. I think what happened is she got behind on eating (it's feasible considering she's bottom of the pecking order, and she's slow), and because it's cold outside right now, she didn't have enough energy to keep herself warm in the night and then she was too cold to eat and it led to a vicious cycle.

Yesterday I took a risk and put her in a dog crate outside with the other chickens and a mountain of food and water, she ate and drank almost all of it and spent all day resting, at night I stuck her in the coop. And today it's miraculous how much better she is, now I just have to take extra care to make sure she eats and drinks enough, and she should be okay.

Thank you again, seriously. A few more hours on Thursday and she would've been gone. And sorry for such a long reply.

You are welcome. I’m glad that she is doing better with you giving her her own food while separated. She just might need to get her own food and treats. I have seen an occasional bird who is just too meek to get her fair share of food and water. That is why I place both food and water inside and out in at least 2 spots for the more timid birds to get enough.

Back
Top Bottom