14 chickens are 14 weeks old...someone's poo is brown and runny...do I need to take action?

WVOGBiddy

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
WV - USA
I have 14 hens which are about 14 weeks old. They are in a coop and secure run which are large enough to give them all plenty of space. They were vaccinated when I purchased them online and received them in the mail. I didn't know better yet, so I gave them medicated starter food, then switched to non-medicated when I read that the medicated kind would undo the vacination.
At about 12 weeks I switched them to layer crumbles (Kalmbach), then just realized yesterday they still need starter crumbles for about 4 more weeks. I will switch them back to starter.
They get small amount of snacks, i.e. black oil sunflower seeds, blueberries, cracked corn(when it was below zero a week ago), apples, broccoli, etc. They don't get snacks every day. Their food and water are kept in the run. They get vitamin water once a week.
I use a roost board that's 4'' wide and have a poopboard underneath covered with a combination of sand and stall dry.
So I just realized maybe there's a problem because someone has brown runny poo. I don't see worms, but I don't know if I would recognize them if they were there. All the hens seem to be feeling and looking healthy and I don't see any problems with their behavior. I don't think the runny poo is a suddenly new problem, I think I just now realized maybe it isn't normal. I'd guess 90-95% of the poo on the poop board is fairly solid, so it's not a pervasive problem at this time.
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2228.jpeg
I'm new at this chicken raising. Any help would be appreciated. I'm posting photos of their poo for comparison.

I have 14 hens which are about 14 weeks old. They are in a coop and secure run which are large enough to give them all plenty of space. They were vaccinated when I purchased them online and received them in the mail. I didn't know better yet, so I gave them medicated starter food, then switched to non-medicated when I read that the medicated kind would undo the vacination.
At about 12 weeks I switched them to layer crumbles (Kalmbach), then just realized yesterday they still need starter crumbles for about 4 more weeks. I will switch them back to starter.
They get small amount of snacks, i.e. black oil sunflower seeds, blueberries, cracked corn(when it was below zero a week ago), apples, broccoli, etc. They don't get snacks every day. Their food and water are kept in the run. They get vitamin water once a week.
I use a roost board that's 4'' wide and have a poopboard underneath covered with a combination of sand and stall dry.
So I just realized maybe there's a problem because someone has brown runny poo. I don't see worms, but I don't know if I would recognize them if they were there. All the hens seem to be feeling and looking healthy and I don't see any problems with their behavior. I don't think the runny poo is a suddenly new problem, I think I just now realized maybe it isn't normal. I'd guess 90-95% of the poo on the poop board is fairly solid, so it's not a pervasive problem at this time.
View attachment 3361331View attachment 3361332View attachment 3361333I'm new at this chicken raising. Any help would be appreciated. I'm posting photos of their poo for comparison.
Mine do that when I change food It will clear up dont be alarmed.

View attachment 3361331View attachment 3361332View attachment 3361333I'm new at this chicken raising. Any help would be appreciated. I'm posting photos of their poo for comparison.
They do poop out a brown runny poo at least every day. With 14 of them, you would have 14 or more per day. There's a reason for this but I don't remember what it is.
Keep their bums clean and don't worry unless they poop it all the time.

And it STINKS! If I'm working out near them when one of them does this, I know immediately.

No cause for alarm...unless you step in it, lol

They do poop out a brown runny poo at least every day. With 14 of them, you would have 14 or more per day. There's a reason for this but I don't remember what it is.
Keep their bums clean and don't worry unless they poop it all the time.
One of my quail is doing it 9/10 times... What could this mean? He is 3 weeks old tomorrow and acts like the others except he's more tame because he hatched in my hand and imprinted on me, unlike the others. I hope nothing is wrong! I've got them on chicken starter but have proper gamebird starter coming by mail tomorrow. Is it because of their not so good diet? I've been feeding them mealworms as treats to keep their protein up until the feed arrives.

Back
Top Bottom