14 week Death Layer

Mama2prettygirls

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 14, 2011
This is Henrietta/Henry. She is getting very noisy but not quite a rooster crow. She’s EXTREMELY skittish even though she was frequently handled from the time we got her at 1 week old, so this is the best pic I could get. Is this a particularly noisy breed or do I have a cockerel on my hands?
8300951E-8702-4DD4-AFFD-04D8DDAC66FA.jpeg

Hello, sorry I don’t have any experience with this breed but I’ve wanted them for a long time...... Can I ask how much she was and where you got her? I’ve also had a hard time finding actually affordable one, the one I found was $100! I can’t pay that kind of money for chicken that could be so easily eaten be eaten by a fox. But just for reference she looks like a rooster.

Hello, sorry I don’t have any experience with this breed but I’ve wanted them for a long time...... Can I ask how much she was and where you got her? I’ve also had a hard time finding actually affordable one, the one I found was $100! I can’t pay that kind of money for chicken that could be so easily eaten be eaten by a fox. But just for reference she looks like a rooster.

I’m in Portland, Oregon and I got him/her from a breeder somewhere on the coast (Newport I think). We met halfway in Salem. I got 2, week old chicks for $40 each. The first one died the first night in the coop at 9 weeks! 😢 Not very happy about how this whole situation is playing out. The breeder said she’s likely not going to continue because there hasn’t been much interest so she’ll keep me posted if she gets rid of her laying hens.
We’re in the city and can’t keep Roos so I’m done with chicks for now. I’ve been looking for Ayem Cemani too and found one for $40 too but forgot to clip her wings and she immediately flew the coop! 🙄 She’s living in my neighbor’s trees now. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve done this and it’s going a lot tougher this time around! 🤣

I’m in Portland, Oregon and I got him/her from a breeder somewhere on the coast (Newport I think). We met halfway in Salem. I got 2, week old chicks for $40 each. The first one died the first night in the coop at 9 weeks! 😢 Not very happy about how this whole situation is playing out. The breeder said she’s likely not going to continue because there hasn’t been much interest so she’ll keep me posted if she gets rid of her laying hens.
We’re in the city and can’t keep Roos so I’m done with chicks for now. I’ve been looking for Ayem Cemani too and found one for $40 too but forgot to clip her wings and she immediately flew the coop! 🙄 She’s living in my neighbor’s trees now. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve done this and it’s going a lot tougher this time around! 🤣
Wow eighty dollars to some crazy chickens?!?! It’s to bad that you lost a Ayam Cemani to some unclipped wings! Death layers are so pretty it’s a shame you can’t find them hardly anywhere...... Anyways thanks!👍

Back
Top Bottom