14 week old Barred rock pullet limping, PLEASE HELP

StarCanyonChicks

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2020
Southern California near Coast
I'm new to keeping chickens, but this morning my 14 week old barred rock was limping. She's able to walk, but is clearly favoring her left foot/leg and is a little wobbly. She was mainly laying down, walking around very sparsely (compared to her usually excitedly running through the pen with my other two girls). I did see her running earlier this morning but around 9 she began primarily laying down, and that is when I saw the limp. I have her inside a playpen, separated from the rest of the flock with food and water to keep an eye on her. She's eating and drinking normally, having normal healthy poo, and is behaviorally no different.

I just gave her 1/4 of a baby aspirin crushed with a small bit of watermelon, which she gobbled up, since I read somewhere that if there are no clear signs of injury to try that and see if it improves, as it could be a sprain. I'm keeping an eye on her now, but if anyone has experienced this before and know of anything else I should look for or do for her, I'd love any advice I can get.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Barred Plymouth Rock, 14 weeks, approx. 2.4 lbs, normal weight compared to my other two, her and my sexlink are in the same weight area, with my wyandotte being the smallest, as I'm pretty certain she's the youngest.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Slight limp, favoring the left foot, mainly laying down. A little wobbly, mainly from trying to just stand on one foot and keep her weight off of her left leg as much as possible. Was running normally early this morning, but at 9 am I began to notice her mainly laying and then limping
Eating and drinking normally, no abnormal poo. Bright eyed, no signs of lethargy. When laying she is leaning to her right, and avoiding pressure on her left foot. Toes curl normally when roosting or gripping my hands. She's vaccinated for Maereks, and her wings don't appear to droop when standing, but I have noticed when she's laying, the wing on the same side as her favored foot droops a bit.

Here's a video:

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
approx 3-5 hours, noticed the limp 3 hours ago (as of 12 am)

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, just a slightly warmer left leg and foot. There's no reaction of pain when I touch her feet and I'm easily able to flex her toes. She's currently resting on my lap and sleeping on and off.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
If its a sprain or pulled muscle, it could've been from coming down from coop in morning or jumping down from roost. While getting down from roost this morning when I let them free range the pen, she seemed a bit wobbly and was having trouble coming down. Usually she has the easiest time getting up and down from places.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Kalmbach Medicated Chick Grower feed, and fresh water.
She's currently drinking a sav-a-chick electrolyte drink with sav-a-chik probiotics, since I heard its good to give them that if they are injured.
It's been hot here, so she's been having ice treats with watermelon and mint the last two days, only one of these treats a day, with 1.5 cup of watermelon in it.
I keep them in the run for the first two hours of the morning to make sure they eat their grower feed before they go free range where they primarily eat grass.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
image2 (1).jpeg

The red spots are from the watermelon piece I gave her to administer the baby aspirin.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Separated from flock, inside house in playpen so I can keep a close eye on her, and given 1/4 crushed baby aspirin, based on the dosage from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dosing.1198396/

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd like to treat myself, as the vet near me is often way too busy to take chickens, but I would like to know if it is something severe enough to require a vet so I can try to get her in as soon as possible if so.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Chicken coop:
36.4 inches x 36 inches
Pine shavings for bedding
Chicken run:
36.4 inches x 84 inches
Decomposed granite with out hardener for run floor
They have a 350 sq ft pen that they free range in with grass

Alright, so I figured out what it is. On Saturday I noticed the toes were curling, so I tested bending her leg at the hock again to see if her toes would curl (like when roosting) the way her other leg does when its bent, and it didn't. Which helped me narrow it to possibly being a Vitamin B deficiency, and I just caught it immediately on Friday before the paralysis had fully taken effect. She's been having a tablet of Vitamin B complex crushed up in her water every day since. Today I checked her by bending the leg gently at the hock again, and noticed the toes were now slightly curling and flexing with the back and forth motion. So progress!

I also duck taped the waterers that have the vitamins in them, so they aren't exposed to light, which I heard could reduce its efficiency.

She was also showing loose feathering, but I thought it was just a mini molt 2 weeks ago because of her age. Can't believe how many things can either be a sign of a healthy, normal chicken, or a sign that could lead to sudden death. The other chicks are also being given Vitamin B complex, and I took all three of them off of their medicated feed and to a normal grower feed, with all the vitamins they need to grow. Taught me my lesson on what Vitamins and ingredients to look for when buying feed, as well as paying more attention for nutrient issues in my heavier breeds. 🤦‍♀️

Yesterday I had her curled foot wrapped to keep the toes flat and straight, as the immobility was making her restless and stressed. I didn't want her to get any injured or twisted toes trying to move around. Seemed to do the trick. I've also been giving her 1/4 of baby aspirin (approx. 20 mg) when she seems especially stressed to help calm her down, and obviously lots of pets and time on my lap. Such a sweetheart.
image0 (1).jpeg

She's drinking lots of her vitamin water, and still has a healthy appetite, and I've been trying to help regulate her electrolytes since she's been panting when she gets stressed (poor girl).

Overall, the outlook seems good, and she appears to be recovering. Can't wait for her to be running with her girls again.

Back
Top Bottom