14 week old chick, low on chick feed, layer pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosyposyosy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    My 14 week old chick was low on feed and is going through it like crazy, so I mixed the remainder with the layers pellets from my older pullets. Is that ok, or should I buy another 50# bag of chick feed? I really don't want to, because 50# is a lot for 1 chick.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Your feed store won't sell you a small bag? Most of the feed stores will break a bag and sell you 5# or 10#. Especially if they sell chicks and have a bag open anyways.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    When we started integration... the last time, we pretty much had to choose: give the big girls medicated, or the younger ones layer pellets; we chose to go with layer pellets and I never heard anyone complain.

Added, I think mine were around 15 or 16 weeks at the time, Id have to recheck that.

Added: it was 15 weeks when we switched over to layer exclusively.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you answered my question - So it's alright to give 5 month old chickens layer pellets? They're not laying yet, but they love the stuff.

Supposedly it's got less protein in it, but I suspect that their free-ranging adds a lot of protein.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I must admit that all mine are out freeranging all day and the 2 month old chicks get into the adult food all the time and so far I have never had any problems, They have been ranging out there since they were 3 weeks old!

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Me too,,,never had any ill effects.

7. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    you should ask the feed store to sell you a little but if you cant i don't think that laying pellets will kill him...or whatever your feeding him/her

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We switched early for similar reasons. No problems. We had enough to do a blend, tho, so it wasn't a total switch at first. Ours free range so at that time most of their food was coming from the land.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you buy a full bag you can mix it with the other feed. It's really no big deal at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by