14 week old chick

Coccidiosis or even Marek's perhaps.. That one was a pullet, though irrelevant now. Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Consider sending in for necropsy if another passes or is culled.
Iā€™m back, looks like Iā€™m losing another chicken. Slowing down/dying the same way. Off balance, still eating & drinking, pale comb, laying down a lot. Treating for coccidiosis (day 3). The odd thing is itā€™s only the chicks dying not the 8 (2 year old) hens, they all free range together. I am giving them laying pellets & scratch. Brand new bags but thinking about throwing away both.

Attachments

• CA0A01C4-9A8C-4377-BF22-1AAB7407FA63.jpeg
    CA0A01C4-9A8C-4377-BF22-1AAB7407FA63.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I am giving them laying pellets & scratch. Brand new bags but thinking about throwing away both.
What dose of Corid are you giving?

Are you adding vitamins/supplements to the water with the Corid? If you are, then stop that.

Laying pellets - how long have the chicks been eating laying pellets?

Do they have grit (crushed granite)?

Are their crops emptying overnight?

What dose of Corid are you giving?

Are you adding vitamins/supplements to the water with the Corid? If you are, then stop that.

Laying pellets - how long have the chicks been eating laying pellets?

Do they have grit (crushed granite)?

Are their crops emptying overnight?
2tsp per gallon, been cleaning and filling up new water everyday. No added vitamins. Chicks have been eating laying pellets for over a month now as they eat both (before we were locking them up with chick starter at night but have since put them all together) they will be 15 weeks Sunday.

I need to get them grit. We give them their shells back but not sure the chicks get any.

The one thatā€™s dying is acting depressed/ tired.

I need to get them grit. We give them their shells back but not sure the chicks get any.

The one thatā€™s dying is acting depressed/ tired.

Chicks have been eating laying pellets for over a month now as they eat both (before we were locking them up with chick starter at night but have since put them all together) they will be 15 weeks Sunday.
Are you in the UK?

Grit is crushed granite, this is to help the gizzard process food.

Crushed egg shells is for Calcium, but it would be good to provide Oyster shell for the laying birds.

I would get everyone on an all flock feed or you can feed everyone chick starter (just provide oyster shell free choice).

Layer feed has a lot of Calcium that growing chicks don't need. I would not feed layer feed until the birds come into lay.

Photo of the one that is not well would be good. I'd still check the crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

Are you in the UK?

Grit is crushed granite, this is to help the gizzard process food.

Crushed egg shells is for Calcium, but it would be good to provide Oyster shell for the laying birds.

I would get everyone on an all flock feed or you can feed everyone chick starter (just provide oyster shell free choice).

Layer feed has a lot of Calcium that growing chicks don't need. I would not feed layer feed until the birds come into lay.

Photo of the one that is not well would be good. I'd still check the crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.
Iā€™m in Alaska, we free range so they should get their own grit from outside right?

I will get a photo tonight, it is eating and drinking just unstable on feet

Sick chicken, doesnā€™t have much energy to stand and canā€™t roost as itā€™s off balance. If I wake up and itā€™s dead Iā€™ll get it tested as this will be #5 and all from the same fertilized eggs I bought from a local gal.

Attachments

• 00858D07-2477-4207-B0F8-7AA6BE535914.jpeg
    00858D07-2477-4207-B0F8-7AA6BE535914.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 2
  • EC6A18B2-4D6E-47B8-B121-B8291FD0B804.jpeg
    EC6A18B2-4D6E-47B8-B121-B8291FD0B804.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 2
Sick chicken, doesnā€™t have much energy to stand and canā€™t roost as itā€™s off balance. If I wake up and itā€™s dead Iā€™ll get it tested as this will be #5 and all from the same fertilized eggs I bought from a local gal.
Iā€™m in Alaska, we free range so they should get their own grit from outside right?

I will get a photo tonight, it is eating and drinking just unstable on feet
They may find suitable grit outside.

How long have you been treating her for Coccidosis now?

When you are done, I'd get some poultry vitamins into her. Check to make sure her crop is emptying and that she's eating her chick starter very well.

They may find suitable grit outside.

How long have you been treating her for Coccidosis now?

When you are done, I'd get some poultry vitamins into her. Check to make sure her crop is emptying and that she's eating her chick starter very well.
Day 3 today but seems to be declining. I will separate As the others are picking on it.

Will also get some chick starter

Back
Top Bottom