14-week-old possible leg injury?

I getting myself confused on this thread. Should I be replying to individual comments? Or should I just post a new comment with mentioning the member who I am talking to? 🤯🤪

So, it's inevitable that they will eventually be affected by Marek's? Or if they do reach the age of 3 or 4, they might be resistant to the disease? Thank you for explaining POL.) I read the article you suggested... Beautifully written and explained. And heartbreaking... I bawled. Lol.
Not all birds are doomed by Mareks, some birds will be naturally resistant. We had 22 birds prior to hatching out the babies. Out of those we only lost one and it was due to coccidiosis which Mareks does make them more susceptible to.

From all of my reading and speaking with people who have Mareks they say if you have a bird reach 18 months and has been symptom free, then those are considered resistant and those are the ones you want to breed from. That’s if your breeding for resistance.

I getting myself confused on this thread. Should I be replying to individual comments? Or should I just post a new comment with mentioning the member who I am talking to? 🤯🤪
You can do it either way. If you respond without replying to individual comments, everyone who has contributed to your thread so far will be notified (if they've set up their notifications this way - that's pretty typical). If you put members' names in your comments, it will alert them they've been mentioned, AND let them know there's a new post in your thread, if they've already posted. Anything you post will probably be read by everyone who has contributed so far, and also any visitors.

Not all birds are doomed by Mareks, some birds will be naturally resistant. We had 22 birds prior to hatching out the babies. Out of those we only lost one and it was due to coccidiosis which Mareks does make them more susceptible to.

From all of my reading and speaking with people who have Mareks they say if you have a bird reach 18 months and has been symptom free, then those are considered resistant and those are the ones you want to breed from. That’s if your breeding for resistance.
So, are they speaking of 18-month-old birds who have been raised with Marek's positive birds? Like, they've been exposed, and they've had time to build up resistance or were born resistant? Of course, I am praying for the least suffering and deaths possible for my flock, but I am also wondering since my mom wanted more chickens to add to her elderly ones, would it still be recommended that she NOT take some of mine? By doing so that could potentially put the virus in her coop and run, even if all chickens do just fine? Bottom line is, my mom has raised chickens for 30+ years, and she would provide a wonderful home for some of my chickens since I am overwhelmed (thanks, hubby, for your bright idea🤭). She has never heard of Marek's (she's also acquired random chickens over the years from various people who had too many). I sent her some of the links you all have shared here. She was surprised and saddened by what she had read. I believe the responsible thing for me to do is keep my flock, and test if/when the time comes. BUT if there's any chance that her chickens would be ok, I feel like overall it would benefit everyone. I would have more time to really watch for any behavior changes without losing my mind, and I would be able to give better care having a few less. Gosh, I feel so selfish or lazy texting that... I am only trying to be realistic of MY capabilities as a new chicken owner. My husband really meant well with this whole thing... We were set on changing the way we eat, showing our kids how to be self sufficient, etc. I just think he didn't (nor did I) realize all of the things that can go wrong in a heartbeat. Like I said, my parents have never experienced this... The worst they have dealt with is the occasional predator. My hubby's family had no problem dealing with difficult things because they were "just chickens." I will never have that mentality so tending to them consumes a good part of my day. It's getting easier because we are learning more efficient ways of the chicken life, and I'm getting better with my routine. One more thing: my hubby texte this morning, asking if I was aware that "Marek's is presumed to be in every flock world wide?" I explained the best that I could thru a text about some chickens being vaccinated or having resistance and the different strains and how that could make the difference in fatalities. Is that somewhat accurate? Also, it really does make a person wonder about the whole quarantine process... Is there really a safe timeline to introduce new chickens? I have 3 different groups of chickens. Our 6-week-olds are across the yard, on the opposite side of the garage. The other two flocks have separate coops and runs, but they share a fence line. They were kept separated for approx 60 days, which I now understand is not long enough. But if chickens can be non-symptomatic, aren't we're all just rolling the dice and saying some prayers? Sorry for the long text... Thank you for taking the time to read. ❤

I didn't mean to put that all on you, @Bkaye . I meant to ask about your response on the 18-month-old chickens, and then the rest was just questions in general for anyone who can help. 🤦🏼‍♀️

As far as Mareks goes if you have a bird that tests positive you need to close your flock, don’t give away are sell any birds ever. If one bird has it your whole flock has it. Even if you decide to cull all your birds you would still have to wait a couple years before you can have birds again and be confident not reinfecting your flock. Mareks is spread through the dander and can live a long time on surfaces. There are only a couple cleaners that effectively kill the Mareks virus. But even with that it can live in your soil for years. That’s why most people try to breed for resistance or buy vaccinated chicks. Even with the vaccine that doesn’t guarantee you won’t lose some birds. The vaccine is suppose to help them build immunity and keep them from growing tumors that Mareks generally causes.

As far as the 18 months. Mareks usually only effects younger chickens. That’s not to say they can’t develop symptoms after they are 18 months old because they can. Generally once one hits 18 months old they are considered resistant. I can’t speak for if the bird was older and the Mareks virus was then introduced how it effect the chickens.

I should also tell you whether you that reguardless of vaccination status and reguardless if they are showing symptoms or not, If you have Mareks every bird on your property has Mareks and will constantly shed the virus. If your mom has chickens this means to change your clothes and wash before going to her house to keep from passing the dander to her chickens. Same with if she comes to yours.

We have also heard and read that Mareks is everywhere. To a point I generally believe that. However some strains are more virulent than others. Your mom may very well have Mareks but it may not be a virulent strain so she may not loose any birds or her loses may be so little she may not realize that’s what’s going on. However if you give her a bird your strain IF you have Mareks may be more virulent than hers and her birds may not be able to fight off that strain. Marked doesn’t always present as paralysis. That’s the most common known form. There are forms that just effect the vision of the birds. It can also cause rumors internally so birds just go off food. Without a necropsy you wouldn’t know what the bird died from.

As far as Mareks goes if you have a bird that tests positive you need to close your flock, don’t give away are sell any birds ever. If one bird has it your whole flock has it. Even if you decide to cull all your birds you would still have to wait a couple years before you can have birds again and be confident not reinfecting your flock. Mareks is spread through the dander and can live a long time on surfaces. There are only a couple cleaners that effectively kill the Mareks virus. But even with that it can live in your soil for years. That’s why most people try to breed for resistance or buy vaccinated chicks. Even with the vaccine that doesn’t guarantee you won’t lose some birds. The vaccine is suppose to help them build immunity and keep them from growing tumors that Mareks generally causes.

As far as the 18 months. Mareks usually only effects younger chickens. That’s not to say they can’t develop symptoms after they are 18 months old because they can. Generally once one hits 18 months old they are considered resistant. I can’t speak for if the bird was older and the Mareks virus was then introduced how it effect the chickens.

I should also tell you whether you that reguardless of vaccination status and reguardless if they are showing symptoms or not, If you have Mareks every bird on your property has Mareks and will constantly shed the virus. If your mom has chickens this means to change your clothes and wash before going to her house to keep from passing the dander to her chickens. Same with if she comes to yours.

We have also heard and read that Mareks is everywhere. To a point I generally believe that. However some strains are more virulent than others. Your mom may very well have Mareks but it may not be a virulent strain so she may not loose any birds or her loses may be so little she may not realize that’s what’s going on. However if you give her a bird your strain IF you have Mareks may be more virulent than hers and her birds may not be able to fight off that strain. Marked doesn’t always present as paralysis. That’s the most common known form. There are forms that just effect the vision of the birds. It can also cause rumors internally so birds just go off food. Without a necropsy you wouldn’t know what the bird died from.
Well, I greatly appreciate your time in explaining that to me! I mean GREATLY! It definitely gives me a clearer picture of what we can and cannot do....I don't know why I hadn't even realized how careful we need to be when visiting my parents and vice versa. (Even when you mentioned how careful you are going to the store it hadn't click in my head!🤦🏼‍♀️) So much to think about....

I am really hoping somebody can help my chick... Here's a good video of her actions while standing and then moving towards her food. Significant improvement since starting Rooster Booster and Poultry Cell last week.

I went through this with a younger chick. I think if I had it to do over again….I would try to splint the leg if it helps her walk and get to food.
I would not remove her from the flock completely. This causes too much stress and will hinder her from doing all things chicks need to do. They want to eat, scratch, and roost when they see others do this.

If the splint causes too much stress and she can get to food without it - I would (and have) remove it.

If she is getting bullied while with the flock I remove the bully and leave her with the more docile chicks.

Hope she is doing ok.

I went through this with a younger chick. I think if I had it to do over again….I would try to splint the leg if it helps her walk and get to food.
I would not remove her from the flock completely. This causes too much stress and will hinder her from doing all things chicks need to do. They want to eat, scratch, and roost when they see others do this.

If the splint causes too much stress and she can get to food without it - I would (and have) remove it.

If she is getting bullied while with the flock I remove the bully and leave her with the more docile chicks.

Hope she is doing ok.
Thank you for your post. Gimpy passed away. 😔

Back
Top Bottom