14 week old REDs.....what kind?

He does look a little dark to be New Hampshire....but a little light to be RIR. He is still feathering in....just getting the shiny feathers coming in good now (no idea the correct terminology). Gorgeous bird other than his attitude.

I have a much nicer little 3 week old cockerel that I may keep to replace him. His attitude definitely leaves something to be desired. I think he would be an awesome free range rooster....he takes great care of his girl, even staying right outside the pen if he gets locked out while she is in. He won't let her out of his sight and tries to stay between her and anything "scary" at all times. Anybody need an evil yet beautiful Roo for a flock protector? He should be a substantial force to be reckoned with once he is older.

I wonder if he could be a cross of the two? I know the feedstore I got him from gets their chicks from a local lady. She has EE, RIR, Game, Silkies....not sure what else.

Well that could be.. The New Hamshire has the RIR as its Foundation and by breeding a RIR to a New Hampshire you should by right get a darker New Hampshire and some RIR that are real light..
Chris

lol.png
I couldn't stop laughing, when you put up
I wonder if he could be a cross of the two? I know the feedstore I got him from gets their chicks from a local lady. She has EE, RIR, Game, Silkies....not sure what else.

I am pretty, definitely sure of what you have. A (RIR/GAME) these are the worst, and a common hybrid!, I had one when I was younger looked just like that, he was a MEAN MF, I would get within about 5-10ft of him, and "IT"S GO TIME!!!!" , and get this, I got mine from a local feed store that takes anything you'll give'm. when you get a (RIR/GAME) mix, usually they are colored smiler to the RIR but have the size, agility, and the "I'm gonna rip your face off" attitude of a Game!​

I may swing by the feed store on Friday with a picture to ask the lady who breeds and sells them. Maybe she had an escapee in the breeding pens? Or will know what they should be.....

Back
Top Bottom