14 week Olds breeding, does this mean I'll get eggs soon?

rt farms

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Arkansas
Dolly is a orphanton mix, picked up at the local tsc this spring, she has plenty of bright red head jewlery.this afternoon, after I have been telling the fat bottom girls they are going to be fired soon, I seen her get breed by one of the same age roos. I know that it totally depends on her and her development but would she really allow it if she wasn't close. All the other girls are just starting to pink up and some of them have larger pelvis than the others but I have nothing to compare dolly to.

Welcome! I just joined today also and I'm interested in your question so I can't wait to hear the answer. My hens have been allowing the rooster to mount them, but i think they are around 5 mos. old.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

14 weeks is very young. I wouldn't expect eggs until around week 20 even if she is already breeding.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! Welcome to you as well, @Leighe
frow.gif
smile.png

Roosters will breed whether the pullet wants it or not. She sounds way too early to be nearing point of lay. You may have to separate your rooster from the girls, so he doesn't damage them when it is too early for them .

Are you sure all the fancy red jewelry she has is not the comb of a rooster., or could the ages be wrong on your chicks?

Looks like it's time to take the roos out then, I don't want my fat bottom girls injured.thank you all for all the welcomes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom