14 week Olds breeding, does this mean I'll get eggs soon?

rt farms

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Arkansas
Im new!!!Dolly is a 14 week old orpington cross picked up at the local tsc in Feb. She has lots of deep red head jewelry. I have been threatening all the fat bottom girls lately about being fired if they don't start something, I know that it is going to depend on her and her development but would she really allow a roo to breed with her if she wasn't close?
I have checked pelvis and some are larger than the next and they are starting to pink up. I don't have anyone to compare her pelvis to, she is definitely bright read.

No pullet will lay an egg at 14 weeks of age, no matter what the breed. So either they are mistaken about her age, or you have a young cockerel and the "mating" you saw was a display of ddominance. A picture would help.

No pullet will lay an egg at 14 weeks of age, no matter what the breed. So either they are mistaken about her age, or you have a young cockerel and the "mating" you saw was a display of ddominance. A picture would help.
this is dolly a few weeks ago, and the roo is unmistakable I purchased them on Feb 14 2015 as day old chicks
She has gotten bright red in the last week

Last edited:
She is very young. She probably won't start laying for 6-8 months. My orpington didn't start laying until 9 months old. She is also too young to be near a rooster that is mounting her. I would separate her from the rooster. He can really hurt her because she is still a baby. Her comb is also not developed or red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had an orpington that layed before 20-21 weeks. You seem to have a young rooster who's hormones have kicked in and he doesn't care if their ready or not he just wants to mate, he will grow out of it but young roosters can try your patience. If he keeps this up you may have to separate him from the girls for a few weeks till they are older.

this is dolly a few weeks ago, and the roo is unmistakable I purchased them on Feb 14 2015 as day old chicks
She has gotten bright red in the last week

Why not post a photo as she is now, seeing what she looked like a few weeks go does little for being able to show her current condition as you are stating she is significantly changed.

Also, in a flock with girls who are coming of age it is not uncommon for the males to decide it's time to breed before the females are at the same point. Just because a male is mating her does not mean she is ready to begin laying.

Back
Top Bottom