14 year old daughter interested in starting pheasants

Myself i have never raised pheasents how ever a friend and my family has. And to be honest (they raisied ring neck) they all dislike them. They would eat each other and fight non stop. The only game bird they all liked was chukkars.

Sorry I haven't updated...We just finished the aviary and moved her pheasants in today. She will be adding more "furniture" over the next few weeks. They are doing great and seem to like the space...

KIMG1344.JPG
KIMG1343.JPG
KIMG1340.JPG
KIMG1339.JPG
KIMG1338.JPG

Just took a look at your enclosure. A couple of things "jumped out" to my eye. A predator can easily dig under the enclosure. Also, appears that poly twine was used to hold the seperate sections of wire together? better to use wire or ring clips for joining the sections and closer spacing of the ties. A predator can easily gain access to the enclosure and ruin your day and your pheasants. Hope you don't think Im being too critical here but just looking out for whats best for your birds.

Just took a look at your enclosure. A couple of things "jumped out" to my eye. A predator can easily dig under the enclosure. Also, appears that poly twine was used to hold the seperate sections of wire together? better to use wire or ring clips for joining the sections and closer spacing of the ties. A predator can easily gain access to the enclosure and ruin your day and your pheasants. Hope you don't think Im being too critical here but just looking out for whats best for your birds.
Thank you very much for the input.. Predators haven't been a problem at all here and all of the chickens free range 24/7 with no losses. Yes, there are Predators in our area but we have 5 large LGDs and 3 med herd dogs that have full access day and night to the entire place. Also it's up close to the barn and house where our 4 little dogs patrol..lol in the 4 1/2 years we've been here we haven't had issues..I realize it still a chance and will work twords more predator proofing.
Please don't think I'm being dismissive about it. I just wanted you to know our situation here for more understanding as to why we used what we did.
Above all, I greatly appreciate your advice and welcome all you are willing to give. Again.. Thank you!:love

Ok, well everyones situation is different. What works for me may or may not work for you.
I use to have Great Danes and Wiemeriners patroling my place, I too had no predator problems then...but no longer have them and now I have the occasional predator, mainly raccoons, trying to get my birds.
You may want to add some cover for your hens to hide in and get away from the male during breeding season. Old Christmas trees work well, perches are also an option but ring-necked pheasants don't use perches as much as other pheasants. Brush piles work well for hens to hide in too!
Wish you good luck and a lifetime of enjoyment from raising these beautiful birds. If you have further questions, just ask, more than happy to assist you.

Ok, well everyones situation is different. What works for me may or may not work for you.
I use to have Great Danes and Wiemeriners patroling my place, I too had no predator problems then...but no longer have them and now I have the occasional predator, mainly raccoons, trying to get my birds.
You may want to add some cover for your hens to hide in and get away from the male during breeding season. Old Christmas trees work well, perches are also an option but ring-necked pheasants don't use perches as much as other pheasants. Brush piles work well for hens to hide in too!
Wish you good luck and a lifetime of enjoyment from raising these beautiful birds. If you have further questions, just ask, more than happy to assist you.
Thank you. She also be working on that over the next few days.
I so appreciate your help! :love

Back
Top Bottom