Turkey egg incubation 2.0

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
This will be my second attempt at turkeys the first time was several years back I was sent away for work during the last 4 days and not able to keep things regulated. Ive hatched alot of different birds since then but never got back to turkeys till now. Just got home with these im gonna be bugging the crap outta yall turkey knowledgeable folks so prepare yourself. I'm not gonna fail this time.
20210320_104251.jpg

I was planning on hatching some chicks with my turkeys to help them learn to eat and drink. I'm gonna baby them when im there but I do work. Is incubating and hatching chicks with poults a good or bad idea. Also I think I wanna get a new brooder just for turkeys poults if they can't be mixed to be sure I keep any chick disease away from my poults. Also if I add my chick eggs to the bator I want to add them so they hatch a day later than my poults do so the humidity differences don't mess up my turkey hatch. Any thoughts on this I know poults are fragile. Is it worth mixing them or just having poults alone from a disease stand point.

I have 13 eggs in the incubator now. I'm 10 days in and the shells are too thick for me to see anything when I candled them today. I'll try again tonight after the sun sets so the environment is dark to see If I see a difference. This is my first attempt as well with a pair I got last fall from the spring hatch. They are Standard Bronze. I hope for a few poults, I also added 2 dozen chicken eggs from my girls 7 days in so that the hope if they all hatch the same day. I heard the poults need help learning how to eat and drink so I figured the chicks would be good to teach them since they take to it so naturally. I still dunk the beaks of my chicks when I transfer them to the brooder to start them off.

I set my chicken eggs today and had a rotten turkey egg. I candled and found 5 or 6 of the other 16 clear. These aren't shipped eggs they're from a guy 15 minutes away. I'm not really impressed with the clear to fertile ratio right now. I'm hoping some were maybe just really starting so they seemed clear ill candle again in 2 weeks.

I set my chicken eggs today and had a rotten turkey egg. I candled and found 5 or 6 of the other 16 clear. These aren't shipped eggs they're from a guy 15 minutes away. I'm not really impressed with the clear to fertile ratio right now. I'm hoping some were maybe just really starting so they seemed clear ill candle again in 2 weeks.
I find early in the laying season the ratio of good eggs is not so good. After a week or 2 of laying I only find an occasional clear egg. I hatch chicks, keets and poults.
Every year is a bit different. I have the bottom turner pretty full of turkey and chicken eggs right now, and should be getting guinea eggs in about a week or so.
The keets and poults take more care, higher humidity than the chicken eggs, but my chickens hatch pretty good.

I find early in the laying season the ratio of good eggs is not so good. After a week or 2 of laying I only find an occasional clear egg. I hatch chicks, keets and poults.
Every year is a bit different. I have the bottom turner pretty full of turkey and chicken eggs right now, and should be getting guinea eggs in about a week or so.
The keets and poults take more care, higher humidity than the chicken eggs, but my chickens hatch pretty good.
What humidity do you incubate turkey eggs at mines been running in the mid 40s to low 50s. I'm in south Alabama

Back
Top Bottom