14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Last candling done last night, and lockdown has begun! Hatch date is Tuesday, April 4th. I pitched out one quitter. Looks like it was maybe day 10-14, it was the one egg in which I watched a bubble float up from the air sac when I candled them a week ago, and which had lost far more weight than it should have already.

I have three more which are in question, but not enough evidence to toss them out - so I'll just wait and see (and sniff) what happens.

33 others looking good! Getting brooder ready tomorrow.

(Cross-posted from the April 2023 Hatch-Along, since I'm following both)

Thanks. This is close to what I was thinking. I will repeat candling in a couple days.
I don't think the broody is able to keep the eggs warm enough in our cooler weather. I think I will put all the eggs in the incubator and give her some fake eggs to sit on, and then give her the chicks after they hatch.

I will have to figure out a plan for the extended hatch time though, hmm... Perhaps give the first eggs to her at lockdown?? Will have to think about it.
Having a broody would be very helpful!

Having a broody would be very helpful!
I do have a broody, it's because of her that I even set any eggs at all. She's just a bantam, so some went under her, the others stayed in the incubator

HOWEVER, the eggs under her were developing more slowly, and at least one (likely 2) of them died. I think she just isn't able to keep them warm enough since it's still early spring and some days and most nights are pretty cold. So I put all eggs back in the incubator and am hesitant to put them under her until they are hatched. But I am considering putting the first 2 eggs to hatch under her rather than putting the incubator into lockdown.

1 week to go. Down a few eggs. 3 early quitters all from 1 hen, xl eggs. I think they were a touch too big for the turner and were getting stuck. 😕
And all my RIR eggs were clears. Not sure what's going on there, they are 3 this year but my roo is spoiled for choice with some younger gals. So probably not doing his duty there.

I do have a broody, it's because of her that I even set any eggs at all. She's just a bantam, so some went under her, the others stayed in the incubator

HOWEVER, the eggs under her were developing more slowly, and at least one (likely 2) of them died. I think she just isn't able to keep them warm enough since it's still early spring and some days and most nights are pretty cold. So I put all eggs back in the incubator and am hesitant to put them under her until they are hatched. But I am considering putting the first 2 eggs to hatch under her rather than putting the incubator into lockdown.
Putting the egg under her at lockdown would be fine-- at lockdown, temperature is not as important. She will be more likely to accept them usually too.

1 week to go. Down a few eggs. 3 early quitters all from 1 hen, xl eggs. I think they were a touch too big for the turner and were getting stuck. 😕
And all my RIR eggs were clears. Not sure what's going on there, they are 3 this year but my roo is spoiled for choice with some younger gals. So probably not doing his duty there.
It is still a bit early in the year still for optimal rooster fertility. As we get more hours of sunlight, fertility will go up.

I am hoping the next hatch will be much better for you!

I have more broodies this week, and one that is thinking about it.

Yesterday I candled the eggs I put under Anger Bird (her name is Nutmeg, she killed my hand a few times as I candled), and removed the ones not developing.
My black frizzle has gone broody, but none of the eggs she had been sitting on were developing that I could see. I think the Seabright that I put in there last month ( because she is a favorite and keeps getting out of the regular pen) has run out of BF contributions. I'd put last weeks heap under Anger Bird, and only got the two developing. I'll be happy when it is warmer and I can make it easier to get in that coop for my mom to collect eggs. 😅
Of the large eggs I'd put under the little musical nest box broodies, I got one still going. I am worried that the air cell might be too large at this stage, so I took a chance of bringing it home to put into the incubator here.
I am doing the dry hatch technique (15-30% humidity until day 18 or so), but I bumped the humidity up for that egg. The big ones have been really hard to hatch, only got one out of all my tries, and that was under a broody. I'll keep a close eye on it.

All the others in the incubator are swimming nicely in their shells. The weeks go by pretty fast when waiting for eggs to grow and hatch. :) Husband is already sadly lamenting he probably won't get any attention from me this hatch weekend. *haha*

I am so looking forward to the Isbar crosses! I hope I don't end up with all roosters... 😅

Finally hatch week for me..... But of course not till Fri/Sat so the whole week to go still. Lol

But candled tonight and got this cute foot picture

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_205214360.jpg
    IMG_20230402_205214360.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom