15 lbs. of chickens in a 10 lb. box

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
So, here is a photo of three of our girls all trying to get into one nesting box. Why don't they use the one right next to it as well? We have five girls, and they all fight for this one nesting box. I don't get it. We are going to put some plastic fake eggs in the box next to this and see what happens. Any thoughts on this???

20230610_113723.jpg

I think the one box is in more of a shadow in your case. If it is not a problem, don't worry about it, but sometimes it will lead to breaking eggs. A couple of options are:
  • add a board across the top to make it darker in each nest
  • some people add a short curtain to the front
  • I have blocked off the favorite nest so EVERYONE has to use a different nest.
Mrs K

I think the one box is in more of a shadow in your case. If it is not a problem, don't worry about it, but sometimes it will lead to breaking eggs. A couple of options are:
  • add a board across the top to make it darker in each nest
  • some people add a short curtain to the front
  • I have blocked off the favorite nest so EVERYONE has to use a different nest.
Mrs K
My plan is to actually redo that area to create two boxes with small roofs over them to give it a more secure feeling for them. If it doesn't work, it's nothing lost. It'll just make the two boxes a bit bigger, but with tops on them. I'll keep the other options in mind as well, if I ever find it to create a problem. So far, they seem to get it all worked out. :)

Back
Top Bottom