15 week old chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gem84, May 25, 2016.

1. Gem84

Gem84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    U. k
    I've just heard one of my 5 15 week old chickens doing the 'egg song'. I'm worried because I went out to check on them, I found no egg but the other 4 were all chirping. Not sure if this is something they do at this age ? Any advice would be fab... I'm a first time chicken keeper :)

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Most breeds do not start laying so early. What breed do you own? And welcome to the group.

3. Gem84

Gem84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    U. k
    Hi they are rhode island bantams. This is why I was worried. I did read they can start the song before they lay but it wasn't a trusted site just a comment xx

4. Gem84

Gem84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    U. k
    I'm not thinking she is laying I just find it extremely weird as to why she would do this. My neighbours have chickens that do the song regular.. could they just be copying

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Don't worry...she's just practicing! Mine do the same thing, usually starting a few weeks before that first egg shows up. She'll also start practicing sitting in the nest, arranging and rearranging the bedding in there, and she'll probably start squatting in a couple of weeks too. So relax...she's right on track.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gem84

Gem84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    U. k

She's been pulling all the straw from the coop then pitting it into a corner in the run. I've been putting it back into the boxes lol xx

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She's healthy right? Eating and drinking and pooping fine. Just ignore her. Chickens are chickens, hard to know why they choose to do anything.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] 15 weeks is a bit early for a pullet to be thinking about laying, but I have heard of some breeds starting at around 16+ weeks. What does her comb look like? If it starts turning bright red, it's a signal for the cockerel that she is approaching laying, or actively laying. (This occurs naturally, regardless of whether or not there is a male present). Her pelvis will be wider and if you look at her vent it will be moist and pink.

There is also a simple test you can do to check if your hen is laying/ getting ready to. Hold the hen firmly and turn her on her back. Put your fingers on her breast bone and work your way down to her vent area. You should feel 2 bones sticking up. These are her pelvic bones. If you can fit only 1 finger upright between her pelvic bones she's still roughly 4 weeks off laying, 1 and 1/2 fingers means she's a little closer, 2/3 weeks and 2 or more fingers means she's either close to or laying already.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by