15 Week Old Cockerel Cutting a Wing

I'm in the 'he's dinner' camp. And if you move away, you are doing what he wants a subordinate to do, again, being a flock member. you are the giant who brings food, not another chicken!!!
Mary

I’m in the camp that half the people here have no clue what they’re talking about.
To each their own.

I would definitely not cull him. He’s just a baby. Just dancing around like that doesn’t mean he’s going to end up mean and aggressively coming after you.
Don’t entertain him just move away when he starts. Don’t push him with your foot anymore either.
What does pushing him with your foot mean to the cockerel? a challenge? Like from another male? Not a reprimand?

@centrarchid is right on. I'd listen to his judgement, if I were you.

Your boy isn't beyond hope. I, personally, don't cull for mere biting (though others' opinions and situations vary).....this can be nipped in the bud if handled correctly. Fighting back will only exacerbate the problem.

I've solved biting/wing dancing simply by ignoring and refusing to move a step until he loses interest. Doing so gives the cockerel no satisfaction. He expects you to respond either with aggression or fear.

~Alex

My cockerel made one aggressive move when he was about the same age. The move was against my daughter. I made the decision right then that kids aren’t allowed near cockerels/roosters. They are just too unpredictable. Since that time I’ve showed dominance toward him by:
Not letting him near me. Not giving him treats. Not letting him crow around me. The goal is to train him that I’m the boss.
I don’t what him to think I’m a treat dispenser so I keep him away when feeding the hens.
To do this I don’t have to kick or handle him. What I do is walk quickly toward him, as if I’m going to grab him if he crows or gets to close to me. As soon as he turns away, or stops mid crow, I stop the approach. He is about 6 months old now and luckily for him he does not show any aggressive behavior toward me. He seldom even crows when I walk in his coop.
Every rooster is different, I think some can be trained and some can’t. Mainly, I think I got lucky to get a good one.

Edit: Don’t mess with the hens either. It’s the roosters job to protect them and if he thinks your after them he’ll probably come after you. I also don’t let my cockerel walk behind me. I’m getting to the point where I trust him, but not that much.

Last edited:
What does pushing him with your foot mean to the cockerel? a challenge? Like from another male? Not a reprimand?
Yes it’s definitely a challenge to a rooster. Your foot is at the eye level of a bird doing that.
Most rooster problems beyond growing cockerels is more than likely a management and space issue. Whether there’s multiple roosters, the owners actions etc.. it’s usually something other than the bird.

I would definitely not cull him. He’s just a baby. Just dancing around like that doesn’t mean he’s going to end up mean and aggressively coming after you.
Don’t entertain him just move away when he starts. Don’t push him with your foot anymore either.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I'm, personally, not ready to cull him yet. I just went out this morning and he was definitely giving me more space. He'll linger while I'm in the coop, but he'll also completely turn his back to me and go about his regular 'chicken' business. After some time, he'll lose interest and go out into the run with the other chickens. I'm going to let things play out, as this will be the first of many learning opportunities for me.

I won't push him with my foot and challenge him anymore either. ;) I think going into the situation my mindset was, "I'll show you who is in charge!", but, I'd much rather have a 'mutual' understanding that neither of us poses a threat to the other... and live in peace until it becomes clear that won't be an option.

@centrarchid is right on. I'd listen to his judgement, if I were you.

Your boy isn't beyond hope. I, personally, don't cull for mere biting (though others' opinions and situations vary).....this can be nipped in the bud if handled correctly. Fighting back will only exacerbate the problem.

I've solved biting/wing dancing simply by ignoring and refusing to move a step until he loses interest. Doing so gives the cockerel no satisfaction. He expects you to respond either with aggression or fear.

~Alex

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I'm going to hold off on culling him until he gives me good cause... I feel like I've flip-flopped over the past 48 hours, but I've set my mind to giving him a chance as of this morning. Until he actually attacks me or my husband, he gets to dance to his heart's content. lol

I appreciate you providing actual advice/steps on how to react to his dancing. I'll definitely try your approach. I'm hoping I didn't do more damage than good when I grabbed him on the back of his neck when he bit me the other day. :confused:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on why he goes into a corner and scratches afterwards... he puts his breast on the ground, but he leaves his tail up in the air. He'll do it in a couple of places in the coop in the short while after his first 'welcome' dance.

I'm in the 'he's dinner' camp. And if you move away, you are doing what he wants a subordinate to do, again, being a flock member. you are the giant who brings food, not another chicken!!!
Mary
Thanks for the input, but I'm not quite there yet. I don't move away from him. I was actually doing the opposite, which may have also not been the right approach, but I'm learning. Have a great day. :)

Back
Top Bottom