15 week old Rhode Island Red - boy or girl?

Maybe the crowing is all in my head. I hope I manage to capture it on video tomorrow.

Maybe the crowing is all in my head. I hope I manage to capture it on video tomorrow.

If you catch it on video, you might also be able to see who does it. That tends to solve puzzles like this :)

If something really is crowing, but you cannot see who: I think it's the Rhode Island Red at the beginning of this thread. The Columbian Blacktail (other thread) and the Exchequer Leghorn (this thread) have nice rounded feathers in front of their tail, but I think the one in this thread has some pointier saddles in front of "his" tail.

Note, the Exchequer has some feathers with a rounded white end and pointy black marking inside it. The markings can be quite distracting when trying to look at the actual shape of the feather!

rir.jpg
this is a 15 week old RIR cockerel **not my photo** she is FOR SURE a pullet, her comb and wattles are far to small to be a cockerel she is likely molting some of her tail feathers which just leaves a couple that curve, she has no iredescent or pointy saddle feathers. she is a very pretty pullet :)

If the Leghorn is the same age as the others (15 weeks) I think it’s the most likely suspect for the crowing. Then again, it doesn’t look like a definite cockerel.

leghorn.jpg
this is a 3 month old white leghorn pullet **not my photo**. Leghorns do have large combs, but yours has a pretty big comb so it could be either or, but im leaning towards pullet

Back
Top Bottom