15 Week Old RIR Hens or Roos?

All Pullets. You would have noticed a roo by now. I have 8 RIR's So I feel qualified
smile.png
lol

roll.png
The RIR in the first Pic appears to be a hen. (Waddles are small, comb is no to large)
roll.png
The two RIR in the second pic appear to also be Hens for the same reasons.

You can always try to Feather Sex them. This way of sexing your chickens is not always a given. Hens
will have a Rounded end to their feathers, while Roos will have a more jagged, pointed end. I look at the feathers just below the neck. Your Roos will also start developing saddle feathers, etc. I believe I have three RIR Roos in my 2008 Babies.
Three is one to many. Good Luck!
cool.png

Woohoo!!! I've had so many surprise roos, I don't think I could have dealt with another one. Thank goodness I finally have a group of pullets! Out of 3 EE (which I was told were all pullets) 2 ended up to be roos, and 2 of my 3 buff brahmas are roos, too.

Sonja

Quote:
Mine are 3 weeks old too and I am anxious to see which ones are roos. I think I have already picked out at least one. He is bigger than the others with a larger comb and he stands on the feeder and "talks" to the other birds and will stare me down when I look in the brooder!

Pic_15Sep162008.jpg

This is my RIR at 18 weeks. She doesn't have much of a comb at all.

Based on comb alone, my guess would be roo for the first pic too. But then I've seen people post pics of hens with bigger combs too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom