15 week old walks funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valerieb, Dec 1, 2009.

1. valerieb

valerieb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    I have a 15 week old Buckeye pullet that walks really funny, kind of like she is somewhat crippled or something. She hobbles along and then she sits. She never just stands she walks a little then sits. I did not notice her doing it until the last couple of weeks. She seems to be ok otherwise. She is eating fine. I looked her over and I can't see anthing wrong with her legs or feet but obviously something is. Any ideas?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What feed and treats is she getting?

Sometimes near point of lay, young pullet develop lameness because the pelvis and leg (medullary complex) need extra calcium for growth, and later, to make eggs. Some hens simply need more...

You may see this in another bird if the diet is lacking, even slightly...

3. valerieb

valerieb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    I have been feeding 22% game bird feed but just started that recently. Before that it was the regular layer feed. There is always oyster shell available in the coop. I give scratch and sunflower seeds for treats daily. Every now and then I give them scrambled eggs or yogurt or leftovers. I haven't noticed anyone else with problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by