1588 Hovabator question

Quote:
lol.png
I have 2 Silver Duckwing Pheonix setting that way now.

But I had put 3 turkey eggs under the first one.. So I'm hoping when they hatch and the 1st chicken leaves with the first hatchlings, that the 2nd will continue setting and hatch the rest...

Then I have another SDP setting on the other side of my pens..

I have 2 pens.. one for turkey and one for chickens, but now they use whichever they want...
lol.png

I just did my first chicken hatch ever, in the Hovabator 1588 with a turner. I ran at 100 degrees F. the whole time, and 50% humidity. Steady as a rock, with no adjusting. The "C" part holds 1 cup of water, BTW.

Day 18, the turner came out, I filled the second part of the tray with water and they started hatching late on Day 20, at 99 degrees F. and 62% humidity. Out of 18 I set, one candled clear and got thrown out, the other 17 hatched within 24 hours just perfectly.

I used the carton method, and some Rubbermaid type shelf liner on part of the floor of the 'bator, so the chicks could get a grip.

Good luck!

I just used my 1588 for the first hatch. It set itself right out of hte box and temp was solid for the whole hatch. 7 out of 8 for my first try. The 8th pipped but died in shell. I incubated with the humidity in the high 40s and 60% for the hatch. You will get lots of difrent opinoins on the humidity.

I have a 1588 too. I've struggled a bit with my hatch rate. I finally bought a digital thermo/hygro so I'm hoping that helps with hatching my current group of eggs. Mine stays steady at 99.5. I'm struggling with keeping the humidity level. I think the humidity issue combined with shipped eggs is what is ruining my hatches.
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's a trick for keeping the humidity stead. Buy a bit of tubing -- 3-4 feet. You can buy aquarium tubing.

When you put your eggs into the 'bator, take out the plug in the top and run the tubing into the "C" water well.

Then each day you can take a syringe to the end of the tubing that is outside the bator, and add an ounce or so of water.

That keeps refilling the amount you use each day and the humidity never needs to drop.

It's easy peasy....

Susan

Back
Top Bottom