1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1588 temperature question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BikerBabeRules, May 3, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    I just got a 1588 Hovabator and the thermometer that came with it reads exactly 100. I put my reliable digital one in there and it won't go above 98.4, even when resting it atop the eggs. The 1588's red light is flashing, indicating correct temp of 100. Should I not change anything and let the 1588 do it's thing? I just set eggs 2 days ago.

2. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    According to the package directions on the 1588, you should not alter the temp on the first hatch. It said that it is set for 100 and that it's thermostat is more accurate than a thermometer.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    There have been people in here who have had to mess with the hova 1588. My accurite (Walmart) has said mine is 99.7-100 the whole time (mostly 100). Maybe some people who have had to adjust will chime in.

4. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I have never messed with mine. I don't even put a thermometer in it. I just start it and let it go. I get 98 to 100% hatch rate. I don't even check the humidity. I just keep it filled per the instructions. I wouldn't be without mine. I use one as a hatcher too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by