15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
1000005529.jpg

1000005530.jpg

1000005520.jpg
1000005536.jpg

1000005524.jpg

The new set up in the garage and the babies that where dry enough to move out there.

Attachments

• 1000005519.jpg
    1000005519.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 2
1 more hatched and I have 4 more pipped (not counting the Americauna egg that I'm 99% sure was cracked and not pipped☹️).
Also my incubator is DISGUSTING! I will definitely be reevaluating my numbers next time I hatch! We were very crowded! When they say it will hold 22 eggs, I don't think they consider how many chicks it will hold! Lol

It’s happening!!!
We have baby #1 as of 11:40PM March 30th, Happy Easter everyone!! :jumpy:wee

This one is from a Wheaten Ameraucana egg based on the down and that it looks as if it might have a beard/muffs :love
IMG_4465.jpeg
IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4468.jpeg

I ended up moving baby #1 and the other two eggs that have started to pip into a paper “containment” area that’s working for the most part but the chick is getting rowdy :lol:
IMG_4471.jpeg

I do believe I saw this in this thread, of someone containing the egg gunk that comes with hatching by making these paper square cups. I thought it might work for holding the first chick back from the eggs that need to pip still. I’ve had an egg get turned upside down during pipping and lost that chick as I did not know it had happened until too late. Hoping to avoid that this time around, not sure if the hatched chicks really caused that but it seemed to be the most likely cause.

The second egg that had pipped just after this first chick did is working on a bigger area, possibly hatching soon as the chick keeps getting woken up by them. This second egg is from a Cream Crested Legbar, I’m thinking the third one is from my Ameraucana hen, like the first chick that hatched, based on its colouration compared to the second egg!

Of course I was sleeping when baby #2 decided to make an appearance!

This is the CCL egg and can definitely tell by the down feathers, a little light partridge coloured! This one actually may have a beard as well which means it’s most likely covered by the Wheaten Ameraucana rooster I had while he was around :celebrate
IMG_4480.jpeg
IMG_4483.jpeg

The paper towel cup definitely did not do what I had hoped but it definitely keeps the broken eggshell pieces together and will be an easier clean up than the first eggs shells that fell into the bottom of the incubator. Definitely something I’m going to carry on doing for Incubator B and the third batch of chicks I’m running.

Back
Top Bottom