16 day old chick makes like a purring noise but like a cricket should. I be concerned

Gabrielrh05

Chirping
Apr 5, 2021
It sounds like a purr but like a cricket high pitch I cant really explain it but he does it in the night when I turn of the light is he content or scared ??

Awww well I'm going to try to get him a partner actually I dont think so or idk but I have budgies and I let them out with the chick and they eat and he pokes their feet and the budgies interact with him
Chickens are flock creatures, they're very social. I personally don't recommend groups less than 3 chicks, I generally tell people to get 5 because that leaves space for if you have to get rid of one due to it being a rooster ^^ Do you have a thermometer? And is anyone selling 2 week old chicks near you? It'll be best to get chicks around his age

I have a thermometer my bad for not saying just that I keep my room warm cause my budgies and yea I'll try to get another chick on Saturday or Sunday
Try to get two! Trust me, it'll be better in the long run : D I don't keep indoor pet birds like budgies so I don't really know too much about them, how warm is warm? either way I'd probably turn the little guys light back on tonight, keep us updated this weekend when you go look for chicks !!! : D

No he sleeps near me and my room is always warm
Is he an only chick? You should always have a heat lamp on your brooder, this ensures it stays the right temperature (of 90*F or so) he is trilling because he is scared, you've basically turned off the sun and made it cold for him. Is there somewhere else the brooder could be that the heat lamp could stay on the chicks and it not bother you in your bedroom?

***edit: 90*F or so for the first week but changing as they age, theres a lot of threads on brooder temp though : D

Yea I have a little lamp and he's sleeping right now so I dont really want to wake him up. I take him out in the day and teach it how to look for food and he cuddles in my shoulder and runs his head I love my little guy ☺☺
It might be in both of your best interest to get him some playmates <3 And chicks sleep just fine with the heat lamp on, I've raised chicks for years and actually have 19 quail chicks next to my computer right now, taking a happy nap underneath their warm heat lamp. Do you have a thermometer?

Yea he's a little bully with my budgies I have 3 and i think i can get one in the flea market do u recommend or not?
Depends on the flea market. The only flea market I know of around me is a little iffy when it comes to their animals. I'd only get chicks who are 2 weeks, not older. Make sure they are;

-active but not flighty
-clear eyes and nose (no discharge)
-happily cheeping
-feathering in correctly (no bare spots)
-no wounds or injuries

Some flea markets might not be super clean or well monitored for animal/bird health (mine is Not) so judge the situation as you see it. If Anything seems off to you, just get young chicks. and I know you havent responded about it specially yet, please make sure to get a thermometer! especially if you get baby chicks and can't find any 2 week olds at the flea market or on craigslist.

Is he an only chick? You should always have a heat lamp on your brooder, this ensures it stays the right temperature (of 90*F or so) he is trilling because he is scared, you've basically turned off the sun and made it cold for him. Is there somewhere else the brooder could be that the heat lamp could stay on the chicks and it not bother you in your bedroom?
Yea I have a little lamp and he's sleeping right now so I dont really want to wake him up. I take him out in the day and teach it how to look for food and he cuddles in my shoulder and runs his head I love my little guy ☺☺

Back
Top Bottom