16 days is officially too early to tell, but...

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
... doesn't this little one just scream "Roo!" to you?

This is the same picture, blown up. Are those wattles and a comb I spy? None of the others have anything like that! He also has something that I can only call "presence"--different from the others, who all have "chickenalities"

If he's a he, and he's the only he, that's very cool. I wanted a welsummer roo

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Everyone always gets the opposite of what they want in this thread

Reasons for pullet?

JenEric Farms

GOOGLE GENIUS
12 Years
Oct 31, 2007
Maine
If you go to feathersite.com and type in Welsummer I think you'll agree with yours being a hen, it's a coloring thing...

Especially pictures 4 - ROO and 5 - 13 week old pullet.

Hope this helps and sorry.

Last edited:

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
From what I've heard, 2 weeks is too young to go by color. Something about them having baby feathers, then a second set of feathers.

Unfortunately, nobody has any pics up of confirmed 2/3/4 week-ers anywhere.

But then what do I know?

cambriagardener

Songster
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
This guide, passed on by a BYCer, worked for me. Yours are a perfect age to check your chicks out.
According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small fe

Good luck!

Top Bottom