16 Deg. F and 30-40 MPH winds!

Quote:
We've not been this cold in the two years we've lived here. I think its unusual for sure, we do get cold, but the cold normally only hits this much in January.
Our coldest windchill before now was -20, and I think our first year the coldest outside was -11. (something like that I didn't keep exact records of it)
Its MUCH colder this year. I hope this is the worst of it, I can't be outside for longer than 20-30 minutes at most, at that point my eyelashes start to freeze, I can't breath properly and my fingers and toes go numb!

Me too, wildsky.

I have asthma and I wasnt sure I was going to make it to the house yesterday when I went out there, all that exertion of going thru the drifts and I couldnt carry all the water and food at same time.

Got pooped and left the food halfway to the coop, then everyone was OUT of food of course. So had to plow back thru to get the food, make a trip back, wasnt able to lift feet up anymore to get over the almost 15 or 16 inches of snow where there werent the 3 to 4 foot drifts.

By time I started back to house, I was exhausted and halfway, I almost gave out and plopped down right there.

Quote:
Oh thats scary! We don't have too much on the ground, there are some drifts but we can avoid them and there was a pathway worn into the snow already. I did have to go around the side to feed the horse and goat this morning and the snow in parts was up to the top of my muck boots. (almost to my knees)
I don't have asthma or anything like that, but it was still difficult to breath that ice cold air. I've never had that problem before.

I had a fleece scarf across my face, and the fleece was freezing from the moisture of my breath, so I had to move it around a little bit. Even with me breathing on it, it still froze.

My horse looked like a dragon, every breath she would breath out two clouds on each side.. poor girl!

Our low last night was -20 with windchill down to -39.

Last edited:
Well they made it through the night like champs. No heat and uninsulated coop, but it is draft free. The temp was 15 deg f and wind was 20-30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. They are pretty hardy birds I must say!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom