16 hours of light

Rennie

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Derbyshire, England
Ive been reading alot about why my chickens are not laying yet ..and all i can come up with is the fact that they are not getting enough natural light..

So tomorrow morning Im getting up as soon as its light outside and according to a website that is 4:44 , I plan to leave them out as long as i possibly can, sunset is at 21:17 so that gives the hens 16h 33m of light .. If im on time and can drag myself out of bed hopefully this should be the start of the good egg times
smile.png

Im hoping that this is the only thing that im doing wrong so to speak because im now stuck for other options ... About 3 weeks ago I got 2 new hens and since then I have had 4 eggs . and im absolutely certain that they have come from the same hen .. but I haven't even had one off her for about a week ...

Does anyone else have any tips to get the girls laying ??

It's nice of you to get up so early to give them a lot of "outside" time. They will probably start laying soon. Chickens need time to adjust to a new environment. Anything stressful (and moving is stressful for hens) will temporarily stop their egg-laying. Once they are comfortable and adjusted to the new situation, they will resume.

In the meantime, just be sure they are getting a good quality layer feed with adequate protein and calcium, and clean fresh water to drink. And, of course, I don't think I know ANY hen that doesn't L-O-V-E to be outside.

Back
Top Bottom