16 square foot brooder! Easy!

You ain't lying when you say heavy. OK Plan B, PO of my "estate" left behind a real nice plywood crate 4'x4' and a foot deep with a lid, I think I will just extend the sides to make it two feet deep and call that my brooder. it will end up looking like that nice unit in the photos.
I think that's a great Idea, Mine have been doing wonderful in it!

:welcome
Nice brooder, I also would have the heat lamp off to one side or a corner. I used the Mama heat pad the last time, it worked great. I don't see myself using a heat lamp again. To keep the bedding out of the water and food, make a raised platform to set in on. You might want to look into making a horizontal nipple waterer. It keeps your water clean 24/7. You can make one now for the chicks, so they get used to it. Here's the one I made for my brooder, with a gallon pitcher, I have a five gallon bucket in my coop.
View attachment 1273250 View attachment 1273251
Thank you for this reply! My mom has been wondering if they are old enough to have one yet, It a huge pain to have to clean the waters like 7x a day lol. But I will keep maybe one or two still in there until they get the hang of it!

You ain't lying when you say heavy. OK Plan B, PO of my "estate" left behind a real nice plywood crate 4'x4' and a foot deep with a lid, I think I will just extend the sides to make it two feet deep and call that my brooder. it will end up looking like that nice unit in the photos.

Better idea using the crate. Use the tub as livestock water or put soil in it and plant some things you can feed your flock.there are lots of plants that make treats for them.

I like Click Cluck's design and also made a 4ftx6ft brooder using three sheets of plywood. Half of the top has two lids and the front has two drop down lids for front access. The heat lamp is for LIGHT only because there is a white Sweeter Heater suspended on the left. I plan to put casters on one end so the entire cabinet can be tilted up and rolled against the wall until needed again.

Some screws, latches, hinges and hardware cloth for the cut-outs. Oh, and a 2x4 for some support for the front doors and lids, and some dowels for the three roosts. --BB
Brooder04.JPG
Brooder05.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom