My simple cheap chicken tractor design

Annabananabomb

Hatching
Jan 30, 2024
I bought a drop over greenhouse from Aldi for around $25AUD (here's a pretty much identical version) with no immediate plans to use it so it sat in the shed for a few months still in the box.

When I decided to build a lightweight chicken tractor for my flock it came in handy!

My main goals for the tractor were: 1. change of scene for the girls from their permanent coop (free ranging not currently an option with our dog); and 2. pop over areas of the yard to prep for planting.

I spent ages building their coop so I was looking for a quick and cheap solution. I don't expect this will be terribly durable and long lasting but we will see!

I might add wheels but it's super lightweight and easy to move as is so, again, we will see!

Here are the materials you need and the steps I would recommend although my approach was a bit more haphazard as I was making it up as I went.

In addition to the greenhouse kit, you'll need:
- 5 x 1250mm square wooden dowels
- 6 x heavy duty zip ties
- Power drill
- Screw driver
- 4 x 40mm wood screws
- 10m roll of chicken wire (I used less than this but I don't know by how much)
- Scissors or a box cutter
- Heavy duty fabric duct tape
- Staple gun
- Wire cutters

1. Build frame as per box instructions.

2. Cut three wooden dowels the same length as the frame's top pole.

3. Using sturdy zip ties, attach the three long dowels to the frame: one on the top pole and one each on the poles at the top of the side walls. You're going to have each dowel not sitting directly on top of the pole but slightly offset so you can attach two roof pitch dowels in the next step. Because they're zip tied, I was able to wriggle mine around a bit when I got to that part.

NOTE: you'll see on my tractor that there are no side wall wooden dowels and the roof dowel only goes to the end of the cover. In hindsight, I'd do what I'm suggesting here instead of what I did making things up on the fly.

4. Cut two wooden dowels slightly longer than the roof pitch.

5. Attach these dowels at the pitch of the roof from the top dowel to side wall dowels on each side of the frame. I used a battery powered drill and 40mm wood screws. What you're doing is creating an enclosed area approx. 1/3 of the way along the frame.

NOTE: Keep in mind how the zippered flap will work here if you decide to cover a bigger or small portion of your tractor! You'll see on my tractor that the roof pitch dowels aren't side-by-side because I didn't keep this in mind.

6. Wrap the entire frame in chicken wire leaving the floor open.

7. Drop the greenhouse cover over the frame.

8. Using scissors or a box cutter, carefully cut the cover at the two roof pitch dowels all the way around so the cover is in two pieces

9. Remove the biggest piece from the frame and carefully cut out the zippered roof flap on this piece.

10. Reattach the cut out zippered flap to the zippered flap remaining on the frame (essentially, you're making a smaller zippered flap on the roof so you can easily get your chooks and any supplies in and out of the tractor). I used heavy duty cloth duct tape on both the inside and outside.

11. Staple the rest of the cover on the frame to the wooden dowels using a staple gun. Be careful not to staple down any part of the zippered flap.

12. Using wire cutters, cut a hole in the chicken wire where the zippered flap is so you can get in and out. Wrap the ends of the wire to the frame at the hole so they don't poke you or your girls.

13. Attach the cover to the frame at the built-in velcro straps and you're done! Or you can choose to add more chicken wire over the floor to make it extra secure if you like.

PXL_20240130_085555605.jpg PXL_20240130_085549290.jpg PXL_20240130_085541773.jpg PXL_20240130_085535386.jpg

Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing, looks like an easy way to put your birds out during the day! Do you think it'll be stable enough to not flip over if your dog tries to get at the chickens?

Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing, looks like an easy way to put your birds out during the day! Do you think it'll be stable enough to not flip over if your dog tries to get at the chickens?
Heya! Great question. I have some fence anchors that are easy to bash in and remove to hold it down. But initially I'll be supervising VERY closely and actively training the dog. He's sweet at heart but his heeler instincts kick in when the girls flap/make sudden movements and he needs a bit of work to overcome them.

Heya! Great question. I have some fence anchors that are easy to bash in and remove to hold it down. But initially I'll be supervising VERY closely and actively training the dog. He's sweet at heart but his heeler instincts kick in when the girls flap/make sudden movements and he needs a bit of work to overcome them.
That’s a good solution! Thanks again for sharing your chicken tractor.

Back
Top Bottom