16 square foot brooder! Easy!

I like Click Cluck's design and also made a 4ftx6ft brooder using three sheets of plywood. Half of the top has two lids and the front has two drop down lids for front access. The heat lamp is for LIGHT only because there is a white Sweeter Heater suspended on the left. I plan to put casters on one end so the entire cabinet can be tilted up and rolled against the wall until needed again.

Some screws, latches, hinges and hardware cloth for the cut-outs. Oh, and a 2x4 for some support for the front doors and lids, and some dowels for the three roosts. --BB
View attachment 1277259 View attachment 1277262
I really like the side doors on your brooder! Thanks for the pics!

Side doors on brooder are a must IMO.
Once you have then you'll never go back!

That is a beautiful brooder! how big is it?
I use one of those chicken coops from Fleet Farm as a brooder. It is setup in an converted stall in the barn. The chicks get locked in the "hut area" for the first 2 weeks with a heating pad cave in the nest box area. I use a clear plastic to close off the door opening. When they are big enough, I move the food and water down to floor level so they have more room. I can hang the food and water to keep the wood flake out of them at that time. At 4 weeks, they no longer need a heating pad and they get a roost. I open the doors to the coop and let them have free run in the entire stall area. The roof of the coop has a roost installed on top of it for when they feel old enough to sleep up there. I had one pullet sleep up there by herself for almost a week before any friends would join her for overnight.

My top doors help for ease of cleaning and fluffing up the bedding. The top lids and front doors share the same latch, but the front doors have eye bolts/hooks on the inside to keep them from flopping down should I raise the lids.

That is a beautiful brooder! how big is it?
Brooder is 72" long x 30" deep x 36" tall.

Nice work, is it finished with oil or something?
Nope, no finish.
He insisted on using 5/4 cedar(I think) for lightness.
ETA: Correction....It's #1 clear pine, no finish except being very well sanded.

Last edited:
I have 12 as well and I'm sure they would do the same thing if it wasn't for the lid! haha
It was my own fault since they literally outgrew that bathroom box and the coop isn't built yet, so had to provide some intermediate housing until it's complete. That's okay since it will come in handy for future chicks where I can monitor them before throwing them out in the coop.

You guys did an amazing job on your brooders.

Back
Top Bottom