16 week Golden Comet acting strange

laurapaladino8

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
I have 4 16 week golden comet pulletts. Last nite all went in the coop except one . she was laying by the food dish . I picked her up which is strange in itself, mine either run to you for food or away from you, but do not like to be picked up. I put her in the coop. Today, she did come out on her own but is still laying around or walking slow with her tail feathers pointed down. none of them have started to lay yet. any one have any ideas what could be wrong with her? and what I can do for her? She is drinking but not eating.

Hi and welcome!
Sorry you have joined us under these circumstances, as it sounds like you have a bird in trouble. There are several things that *could* be going on here - the challenge is figuring out just what it is. Does your bird have any discharge from any part of her body - nose, mouth, eyes, vent? Is she passing waste and, if so, is it normal - if not normal, what is abnormal about it - consistency, color, etc.? Had her comb and wattle started to redden and, if so, have they changed with the onset of this behavior (ie are they washed out/pale)? Does her breathing sound off?
*I* would separate her from the rest of your birds for now because if she is ill you don't want the rest of your flock exposed any further. From there I would give her a once over and give her a quiet, warm place to rest while you evaluate what you find and start sorting through possible causes.

physically she appears fine. her waste however is white and foamy with little brown, looks more like pigeon poop to me.her coloring also seems normal.

Back
Top Bottom