16 week old Buff Orpington development

Never had orpingtons myself but as with many breeds most start laying 18 weeks up thru 26 weeks on average. They can start reddening up in combs and wattles then still take weeks to start. The waiting is always the hardest part! It could be tomorrow or a few weeks. Hang in there!

Never had orpingtons myself but as with many breeds most start laying 18 weeks up thru 26 weeks on average. They can start reddening up in combs and wattles then still take weeks to start. The waiting is always the hardest part! It could be tomorrow or a few weeks. Hang in there!
Our Rooster has been making nests for them haha I hope they choose the nesting boxes. They haven't shown interest in them yet, but Myrtle was checking out one of the nests made by the Roo today haha

I've got Pumpkin (female) who is mostly BO with a bit of hybrid mixed in there somewhere (she looks very like a pure buff!)
And Chickpea (male) who is half BO and half unknown breed (he is a ginger-brown sort of colour!)

They both come from my flock which includes:
(their dad called geralt who was a pure BO was sold because he was aggressive)
Hegardy- Pumpkin's mum, 3/4 BO 1/4 hybrid (lays light brown eggs)
Florence- Chickpea's mum unknown breed (lays cream eggs)
Harriet- unknown breed (lays green eggs)
Penny- retired hybrid rescue
Lavender- retired grey hen unknown breed rescue
8 random mixed breeds from the ones above (5 months old) (Peanut, Prince Peach, Dewdrop, May, Tootsie, Butternut squash, Brave, Snow white) (3 males, 5 females)
5 pure BOs (4 months old) (unnamed)
Linda- 1/2 black croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
Nora- 1/2 white croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (female)
Tina- Pure BO (2 months) (female)
Alan- 1/2 copper maran 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
plus 5 muscovy ducks and 7 ducklings

I certainly will!! I think soon....Myrtle and another hen ( a JG) have been red faced the last week or s

I've got Pumpkin (female) who is mostly BO with a bit of hybrid mixed in there somewhere (she looks very like a pure buff!)
And Chickpea (male) who is half BO and half unknown breed (he is a ginger-brown sort of colour!)

They both come from my flock which includes:
(their dad called geralt who was a pure BO was sold because he was aggressive)
Hegardy- Pumpkin's mum, 3/4 BO 1/4 hybrid (lays light brown eggs)
Florence- Chickpea's mum unknown breed (lays cream eggs)
Harriet- unknown breed (lays green eggs)
Penny- retired hybrid rescue
Lavender- retired grey hen unknown breed rescue
8 random mixed breeds from the ones above (5 months old) (Peanut, Prince Peach, Dewdrop, May, Tootsie, Butternut squash, Brave, Snow white) (3 males, 5 females)
5 pure BOs (4 months old) (unnamed)
Linda- 1/2 black croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
Nora- 1/2 white croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (female)
Tina- Pure BO (2 months) (female)
Alan- 1/2 copper maran 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
plus 5 muscovy ducks and 7 ducklings
That's awesome! I love the names🙂
Myrtle is now 20 weeks and looks like this lol a big girl with a floppy comb lol

Attachments

• 20230919_164003.jpg
    20230919_164003.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230919_164004.jpg
    20230919_164004.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi just joined here and have intro'd myself in New Member. I wanted to reply to OP on Buff's.

I have 3 BO's, now at 23 weeks. My first egg came at 21/22 weeks from my girl Sally. A week prior she begun squatting 6 days later the egg was laid. Since then she has given me 2 more. The other 2 have not squatted yet, but I see it coming. Should not be long before yours lay. I don't always hear her egg song.

When if I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Have a great day!

Our Rooster has been making nests for them haha I hope they choose the nesting boxes. They haven't shown interest in them yet, but Myrtle was checking out one of the nests made by the Roo today haha
That's cool! 🤣

I have two plastic easter eggs I put in the nest boxes before mine started laying. They worked like a charm, never even had to show them where to lay, they got it. The plastic eggs are still in there a year later, LOL. When I collect eggs some of my hens get a little upset if I take all the eggs out so I leave them with the plastic ones and they're happy. They're rhode island reds so they're not very broody but a few of them do like to sometimes sit on the eggs in the nests for a while after laying and act all broody with the grumbling and pancaking. Always makes me laugh. I show them the plastic egg, slide it under a wing and all is good. Then the mood passes and they leave.

Hi just joined here and have intro'd myself in New Member. I wanted to reply to OP on Buff's.

I have 3 BO's, now at 23 weeks. My first egg came at 21/22 weeks from my girl Sally. A week prior she begun squatting 6 days later the egg was laid. Since then she has given me 2 more. The other 2 have not squatted yet, but I see it coming. Should not be long before yours lay. I don't always hear her egg song.

When if I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Have a great day!
My 3 girls - biggest one is Sally my first layer.

IMG_0534.jpg

Sally's !st egg - a double yolk
71651232370__C5D28CFA-BB79-46E1-8E3C-82B629DFB1BB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom