16 week old buff orpington - hen or rooster?

mylesgeorge

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013

I am new to raising chickens and not sure of the gender of this one...I have 5 BO they are all about the same size, but this one has a bit darker comb..I havent heard any crowing? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Looks like probably a girl to me, at 16 weeks the girls should start laying in a few weeks so some will start turning pink. I would expect more comb and wattle and male feathers showing up in a boy that age usually.

Pullet, definitely.
smile.png

Looks pretty girly to me.

Is it crowing? How is its behavior?

I just dispatched my rooster Buff Orp yesterday and he was only around 8 weeks. His crown was distinct. He started crowing at 6+ weeks and his behavior was clearly male, herding the rest of the pullets every evening into the coop and is constantly on the alert to external threats.

7 week old

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! You have put my mind at ease. I was trying to figure it our for myself but having very little chicken experience I thought I would ask someone who would know! Thanks again! I am looking foreward to eggs coming soon!

Okay, I guess I do have one more question..if she could be laying in 2-3 weeks as previous poster said should I have them on layer feed? I was told to wait until 18 weeks..again I have no previous experience so any advice is greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom