16 Week Old Egg Laying

lilgreene19

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Massachusetts
hello,

I bought my chickens (ISA BROWN) from tractor supply on May 24th, 2020 (I live in New England). I noticed one was starting to squat when I went near her. Looked it up, realized she was basically going to be laying eggs soon. So on the 11th of September we received our first egg. We got about 4 normal eggs out of her, and the rest have been soft shell.

She usually lays one everyday (being soft shell or hard). The last egg she laid on the 17th was a soft shell and you could see the yolk inside. But she did not lay one yesterday (Sept 18th, or this morning Sept 19th). She is the ONLY Hen laying right now (one other started crouching when I go near her too). All chickens have been eating fine, drinking fine & acting normal.

I attached a picture of the last egg on September 17th.

Is this too early for chickens to be laying?

Should I be worried she is egg bound?

Attachments

• Resized_received_245243813485805.jpeg
    Resized_received_245243813485805.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 49
Some breeds, such as ISAs, begin laying as early as 16 weeks. Don't worry about her being egg bound-it's normal for few layers to be inconsistent with some weird eggs as they first come into lay. If she is lethargic and not acting normal, then you should worry.

hello,

I bought my chickens (ISA BROWN) from tractor supply on May 24th, 2020 (I live in New England). I noticed one was starting to squat when I went near her. Looked it up, realized she was basically going to be laying eggs soon. So on the 11th of September we received our first egg. We got about 4 normal eggs out of her, and the rest have been soft shell.

She usually lays one everyday (being soft shell or hard). The last egg she laid on the 17th was a soft shell and you could see the yolk inside. But she did not lay one yesterday (Sept 18th, or this morning Sept 19th). She is the ONLY Hen laying right now (one other started crouching when I go near her too). All chickens have been eating fine, drinking fine & acting normal.

I attached a picture of the last egg on September 17th.

Is this too early for chickens to be laying?

Should I be worried she is egg bound?
What are you feeding the flock?
She needs extra calcium to form the shells on her eggs. I would put out a container or two of oyster shell for her and the others to eat free choice.
When her reproductive system fully matures, she should become more consistent with egg quality.

What are you feeding the flock?
She needs extra calcium to form the shells on her eggs. I would put out a container or two of oyster shell for her and the others to eat free choice.
When her reproductive system fully matures, she should become more consistent with egg quality.
I am feeding her Purina Organic Crumble. I put oyster shells in the food & the scratch (also purina organic). They avoid the oyster shells (Dumor) and go for everything else (picky girls!).

I haven't switched to pellets because only one chicken is laying right now. The others haven't even gotten the big red comb like the one who is laying. Its starting to grow, but its not there yet.

I am feeding her Purina Organic Crumble. I put oyster shells in the food & the scratch (also purina organic). They avoid the oyster shells (Dumor) and go for everything else (picky girls!).

I haven't switched to pellets because only one chicken is laying right now. The others haven't even gotten the big red comb like the one who is laying. Its starting to grow, but its not there yet.
They avoid the oyster shells because they don't need the extra calcium yet, aside from the one who is laying. You are fine to keep them on grower until most or all are laying. You might want to have a seperate cup or holder that's just oyster shell, and maybe one for grit as well.

What are the protein and calcium percentages of these feeds?
'Crumble' and 'pellets' only tells us the shape of the feed,
need to know the vital nutrient content that's listed on the tag sewn into bottom of feed bag.

Do not put OS in with feed, put it in a separate feeder available at all times.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @lilgreene19
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600523287981.png

What are the protein and calcium percentages of these feeds?
'Crumble' and 'pellets' only tells us the shape of the feed,
need to know the vital nutrient content that's listed on the tag sewn into bottom of feed bag.

Do not put OS in with feed, put it in a separate feeder available at all times.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @lilgreene19
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2340128
Hi! Thank you for the welcome! I am located in MA! The Purina Organic Crumble is 16% protein. I will grab another feeder to put only oyster shells into! Thank you! Its been chilly recently as we are heading into fall.

Back
Top Bottom