16 week old pullet- bantam- open mouth breathing-Update. Not happy.

Quote:
Well you always want to hold off on antibiotics if at all possible; You know the immunity/resistance factor. I always hold off with meds unless I see blood/tissue in the poo and they are huddled in a corner. The less I fuss with mine the healthier they seem to be.

Have i mis-read something here? You said the bird has no symptoms that would indicate anything respiratory was wrong. If she is just breathing with her beak open.......what are meds going to do?
Didnt you say she was acting fine in every way? no discharge of any kind.... no wheezing.........she is eating, drinking and not lethargic. crop is just like the other birds
hu.gif

I have not read a single reason to give meds to the bird. With no symptoms, how would you know how to treat? This is very confusing.

Sometimes people just want to do SOMETHING.
smile.png
We feel something is better than nothing. However, that is not always correct.

Since you have given the antibiotics, remember to give her some yoghurt with active cultures to help the gut and restore some of her natural flora. Hope the vet reassures you.

Last edited:
Sorry for confusing things and sorry if I have annoyed you with my panic.

Yes, the bird is sneezing- much more now. It's a quick sneeze that doesn't sound wet. No nasal or eye discharge. She sneezes several times in a minute.

She is open-mouth breathing on inhalation. She opens her mouth and takes a deep breath in. You can see her putting effort into dragging that breath in. She is also starting to leave her beak open a bit in between breaths.

True she is acting fine in all other ways. Active, eating, pooping, etc.

My plan is to pull her and start her on the tetracycline in her waterer for the 7-10 days recommended. It seems like some people would do nothing until the symptoms get worse. My gut is telling me this is not normal for this bird and that she's got something going on.

I will offer her yogurt- thanks for that reminder.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do what your gut tells you to do!!!! Chickens will GO VERY FAST!!!! One minute they are showing one little sympton and the next they are DEAD! Don't second guess yourself, give the ABT. Better safe than sorry. And, it takes A LOT of ABT to build a resistance to it. They are not going to become resistant to it with just one administration. Remember to give the full dose for the full amount of time. That's another way they can build resistance to it, don't stop giving med on day 4 because the chicken is acting all better. Give the full treatment.

GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Do what your gut tells you to do!!!! Chickens will GO VERY FAST!!!! One minute they are showing one little sympton and the next they are DEAD! Don't second guess yourself, give the ABT. Better safe than sorry. And, it takes A LOT of ABT to build a resistance to it. They are not going to become resistant to it with just one administration. Remember to give the full dose for the full amount of time. That's another way they can build resistance to it, don't stop giving med on day 4 because the chicken is acting all better. Give the full treatment.

GOOD LUCK!

I agree.

Thank you both- should I be giving her a dose? Or just treating the water?

She's worse today. I think that I saw a little mucus in her mouth (strings when she opened her mouth) and she's quieter. Still eating. I am now sure that she needs the antibiotics.

Talked to the vet and she said to treat and if she's not better by Tuesday (or if she's worse) to bring her in.

Poor Dory.

Back
Top Bottom