16 weeks old now! Heat questions

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Chardon Ohio
I am in northeastern Ohio,the last couple of nights we had frost warnings. Our coop is tight as a drum but not insulated. When do I need a heat light?

If they are sixteen weeks, and there are no drafts, they are OK until the temps get zero... then you'll probably want to turn on a light for heat.

Agree, we don't use heat lamps here at all unless they are babies and not fully feathered.

Jody

You mean all winter no heat? Even if its 0 and do I need to worry about snow? Can I let my girls and 1 boy go out in the snow (we get alot!)

Yup, I mean none. They are kept in their coop when it is below freezing and when it gets to around 30 the coop is opened for free ranging, if they choose. We shovel paths for them to come out when it snows. They come out a little, peck around some and go back in. The first year they don't usually like the snow, but after that they get used to it.

Jody

I live in NH. So if I got some eggs now to hatch and then in 16 weeks.....it would be okay to put them outside with the rest of the birds even though we would still be in the winter season being Feb?

Wouldn't that be too sudden a change in temperature even with feathers?

Back
Top Bottom