16 Weeks - Too early to lay?

ricsike62

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Ádánd, Hungary
At the beginning of May we hatched seven chicks from eggs our neighbour gave us. Two turned out to be Roos, leaving us five beautiful girls. These joined our existing flock of five 18 month old ladies and their protector, Barry the Rooster.

Of the five original ladies, one has never laid. She appears happy and healthy, but has just never shown any interest in laying an egg. The other four have been regular layers, but currently two are out of production, having hatched chicks two weeks ago. That leaves two currently laying. Hope you're following this - never use one word, when twenty will do. Right? Anywho...

Today I go down to collect eggs, expecting two. There were three!
big_smile.png
Two I recognise as being from my laying ladies. The third is much smaller, and darker brown. I've never had an egg this brown. So, now that you know the reason for my question... Is 16 weeks too early to lay a first egg?

Ricsi

At the beginning of May we hatched seven chicks from eggs our neighbour gave us. Two turned out to be Roos, leaving us five beautiful girls. These joined our existing flock of five 18 month old ladies and their protector, Barry the Rooster.

Of the five original ladies, one has never laid. She appears happy and healthy, but has just never shown any interest in laying an egg. The other four have been regular layers, but currently two are out of production, having hatched chicks two weeks ago. That leaves two currently laying. Hope you're following this - never use one word, when twenty will do. Right? Anywho...

Today I go down to collect eggs, expecting two. There were three!
big_smile.png
Two I recognise as being from my laying ladies. The third is much smaller, and darker brown. I've never had an egg this brown. So, now that you know the reason for my question... Is 16 weeks too early to lay a first egg?

Ricsi
Laying at 16 weeks is unusual, but not unheard of. It is most common in production breeds, like Red/Black Sex Links or Rhode Island Reds. I think that it is more likely that you have a young bird laying than one of your older hens laying for the first time, but if you want to be sure, observe when your hens lay. Watch them in the morning hours, and see who goes into the nest box.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I'll keep my eyes open during the coming week. I'm really not sure what breeds I have - they have all been "over the fence" presents (either in chicken or egg form) from our neighbour.

This is the small egg, between two regular eggs.

Back
Top Bottom