16 wk old Silkie singing egg song

Frost Homestead

eggmonger
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Lago Vista, TX
My little Pippin is only 16 weeks old but I've heard her sing the egg song twice. The first time I heard it I thought for sure I was just imagining things and that it had to be coming from one of my older birds, but when she started doing it today we confirmed that it's her. She was by herself inside the house when she was singing it.

I know there's no way she should be old enough to be laying eggs already, has anyone ever had their silkie sing the egg song early?

She's practicing. Other pullets, hens, and often roosters will chorus with a laying hen - as congratulations or something - so it's not that surprising for a young pullet to practice the Egg Song before actually singing it for her own eggs.

I have a pullet around the same age that has done it as well.

[VIDEO]

Here is my entire coop doing it. Ages are 4 months - 2 years old. All of them do it. My barred rock started it, and the rooster got everyone going by singing it along with her.. Anyway.. The video speaks for itself :gig

I was laughing hysterically on the inside!

Oh my! I love it when the whole coop starts singing! It's hilarious!!!
gig.gif

I have a pullet around the same age that has done it as well.Here is my entire coop doing it. Ages are 4 months - 2 years old. All of them do it. My barred rock started it, and the rooster got everyone going by singing it along with her.. Anyway.. The video speaks for itself
gig.gif

I was laughing hysterically on the inside!

gig.gif
that's great! sometimes my cockerels will get in on it, but I've never heard any of my pullets do it if they're not laying. she's still got pin feathers coming in, I just thought she was a little young, good to know she's so enthusiastic!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom