16wk cockerel scuttling and chatting very dramatically in the nest box

lunaticfishboy

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
So I got a new bantam roo... his name is Wade :) he's very attached to me but he's also successfully integrated into the outside flock, so he has his chicken friends too!
He's very showy and always wants to jump on your back or do his dance towards you. Today while hanging out with him he just paced around going in and out of the nest box, we had a solid father to son conversation about why it's not okay for him to go into a ladies-only place and he was just chattering and growling and all that. I just wanna know why he would do it?
IMG_7042.jpeg

This is actually fine and normal. Some roosters like to help their ladies build their nests. I wouldn't discourage him, but just let him do his thing. Did you just put new bedding into the nesting boxes? I've noticed that my roosters do this the most when new bedding has been added to the nesting boxes.

Here's a video of one of my roosters in the nesting box with one of his hens in the box next to him:

What a handsome boy! There is really something special about the ones that help with nesting and egg laying. I've seen a rooster go and get a noisy, restless hen and show her a nice quiet place where she suddenly will settle right down and lay. Sometimes he seems to even stand guard while she does. I think it's actually more normal, and arguably a sign of a better male, when they take such an interest.

This is actually fine and normal. Some roosters like to help their ladies build their nests. I wouldn't discourage him, but just let him do his thing. Did you just put new bedding into the nesting boxes? I've noticed that my roosters do this the most when new bedding has been added to the nesting boxes.

Here's a video of one of my roosters in the nesting box with one of his hens in the box next to him:

They make such a great singing duo!!!

Back
Top Bottom