16wk OEGB ready to start layng???

lizage

Songster
8 Years
May 13, 2011
So I believe my 16wk old silver duckwing OEGB has been showing 'squatting' behavior for the past week or so and after reading numerous posts here, I'm 100% convinced that's what she's doing. Her comb and wattles have turned red as well just recently. I have 4 of these girls, plus 3 other standard size breeds (BR, Reds and BSL), none of which have squatted for me, though some have red combs and wattles recently as well. I guess I was under the assumption that the banties would be the last ones to lay (and I also assumed no laying before at least 20wks old).

So my question is, should I expect her to start laying eggs any day now or how soon? I have the nests blocked off still so should I open them up now? My girls and boys free range all day so will they still use the nest boxes in the coop or should I be looking outside for eggs too? I have been checking the coop twice a day for eggs and have seen nothing, but then again, I really didn't expect to see anything at least for another month at the earliest.

Would love any advice from the experts here!
big_smile.png

Yep, sounds like any day now. My Orps tend to do that about 2 weeks before they lay so it could be another week. Definitely give them access to nest boxes and put a golf ball or fake egg in there to give them the idea.

Back
Top Bottom