17 week brahma cockerel attacks only one pullet

Chido

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
El Monte
I have 4 chickens: 3 mystery breed pullets and 1 standard light brahma cockerel. He gets along with two of the pullets with no problems, but he bullies the smallest one, she is most likely a bantam mix and about a week or so younger than the rest. I'm pretty sure she is a pullet because she has no comb or wattles, and hasn't grown any shiny tail feathers or hackle feathers at all. However, my cockerel seems to really dislike her, because he circles her, looks like he's gonna charge her with one shoulder, pecks at her and tries to make her leave the coop at night, and also if she happens to be close to him when they are eating, he scares her away.

I'm confused as to why he acts like that, because other times during the day they all hang out together, and he has never drawn blood or pulled her feathers. He also doesn't act like this with the other two pullets who fight back and make him run away if he gets too rough. I don't know if it i because he is already like 5 times bigger than my pullet, or if he thinks she is a rooster, but is there any hope the behavior will change once they start laying eggs?
sad.png

Last edited:
that type of behavior will not really change:( if you had a larger flock maybe??? her being a bantam doesnt help either as he will eventually hurt her trying to breed-you sure she is a she? photos of them all would help?

The bantam and the brahma. He doesn't bully her all the time, but when it's dusk and they are going into their coop I have to be there so he doesn't chase her out of the coop and peck her.

This picture is a couple of weeks old. She was born in late March, so she should be about 13-14 weeks old in the picture.

Now he does let her get close to him, but as I said, I'm worried that he bullies her a lot and she doesn't fight back. When he tries the same with the other two, they put him in his place, and the three pullets have always got along. I originally only had the 3 pullets, but my brother-in-law wanted a rooster because he says eggs don't taste the same without a rooster (we're Mexicans and I live with my sister, I know it's not true what he says, but I can't quite contradict him). When I saw a couple of stray cats stalking my chickens when they were locked in their coop, I agreed to get a rooster so he'd help protect them. I found one of about the same age as my pullets, but being the dumb newbie I am, I didn't know exactly how big he was really gonna get. He's a sweet boy but I wish he'd stop bullying that pullet so much
sad.png
. I also didn't know how small my pullets were going to be because we didn't buy them, we actually found them as baby chicks roaming in the street, so we caught them and kept them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom