17 week old pullet

coop2542

Hatching
Apr 26, 2020
Hello all. This is first post here and I’m already asking for help. I have 4 17 week old hens, three RIR’s and I’m not sure what the fourth is. Fluffy is the smallest ones name and she is the reason I’m posting. She suffered a broken right leg at about 3 weeks old but I splinted it and she made a full recovery. I tried to keep her off left leg as much as possible since she was growing and I didn’t want any unnecessary strain on it. Most of the time she was good able staying still. After I took the splint off after about 3 weeks she still favored her left leg but finally came around to using both. She never did master running but was able to hobble with little trouble and did not complain. A couple of weeks after I removed the splint, I noticed her left leg (the one that wasn’t broken) was bending in both directions at the ankle. I checked for a slipped tendon and felt the joint but could not feel anything out of place, as far as I could tell. She still gets around on her own just fine and isn’t in pain (as far as I can see/hear) but now when she is standing, she looks like she is at the bottom of a curtsy, with her right leg bent normal and her left leg around behind her with her toes pointed to the left. She even has her wings out as though she’s spreading her skirt! I know it’s for balance but still.... Anyways, not being an ornithologist, I am curious if this is a semi-regular thing to happen to chicks. I don’t know if it’s dislocated or maybe even something that would have surfaced regardless of her other little leg getting broken. Any help would be appreciated because even though she doesn’t complain, it breaks my heart that she can’t run and chase squirrels with her sisters
61333822-E653-40A0-8A39-314A8656D9A5.jpeg

So her right leg was the one broken, and her left leg looks all twisted? My guess is that she has a twisted tibia, one of the common leg none deformities in poultry. There is no cure or treatment, unfortunately. Here is some reading about leg bone deformities:
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/en-c...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers
Correct, her right leg was broken but her left leg is twisted. I’ll check out the reading material too. I figured there wasn’t much that could be done but I still wanted to try. Thank you for the response!

Back
Top Bottom