Lav orp chick with broken/dislocated knee/leg? Not sure what to do

Indigo a la mode

Chirping
Sep 28, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Hi all, I recently moved my chicks outside. Today I couldn't find one of my 8-week-old lavender orpingtons. After a long search, I found her on the other side of my yard with one totally useless leg. Because of how far she was from the coop, I wonder if maybe she was caught and dropped or dragged by something? There's not really any feather damage, though.

From the knee down, the leg is just flopping around. The toes on that foot are cold, if that means anything. I don't see any swelling, blood, or an obvious, open break, and she is alert and chirping softly. But obviously something is very wrong with that leg. This is my first chicken injury in five years of chicken keeping, so I'd really appreciate any advice.

How do I know if it's broken or dislocated?
Do cold toes mean something worse than a break?
Should I find an avian vet or will splinting/slinging be okay?

Thank you!

If a vet is possible, that is good since an xray can be taken. Do you have any pictures of the leg? If the leg is flopping, it sounds like a bad injury, possibly torn ligaments. Is there any swelling or green bruising? Since you are not sure of what happened, I would look under her feathers for any puncture wounds or lacerations. Are there any older birds or a rooster around?

Back
Top Bottom