Broken leg duck

I am not familar with either of these antibiotics hopefully @ruthhope or @casportpony will be able to help there.
Can you post a picture of how you fashioned the splint can he lay down comfortably?
I would not have the fan blowing directly on him fix it so it is blowing over his head if you feel you have to have it on.
Cleaning any wounds is very important clipping back feathers from around wounds is important. Keep the wounds moist using something like triple antibiotic ointment. I have never used drawing salve for a wound just for bumble but it may work if you have some.
Also I don't think your drake is going to get much nutrients from scratch and he needs them very much right now so a good feed is best. Also some "poultry cell" by rooster booster is good to help.

If you can post pictures of his wounds and his leg that would be much appreciated. We can help better when we see the extent of his injuries.
I am sorry. I have no experience of using either of the two drugs in ducks.

We generally recommend meloxican for pain relief/ This was shared in this forum in January 2024:

There are 2 strengths of Meloxicam 0.5 mg per ml and 1.5 mg per ml. Here is the dosage for birds and chickens:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/meloxicam-dosage-after-bumblefoot-surgery.1419917/

Can you not get your duck to a vet who might set the broken leg properly and splint it well?

Back
Top Bottom