17-week pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dachick, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dachick

dachick New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    Hello Chicken Family [​IMG] !

I am new to this website and raising chicken alltogether! I have read a few documents and books and I am gearing up to get my first egg laying chicken order placed. However, I wanted to start with 17-week pullets instead of baby chicks.

I am going with the White Leghorn pullets. I have looked around and noticed that the price for the started pullets vary from 5.75 to more than 10 dollars :eek: . Are these the best prices that I can get? I was hoping for something a bit less expensive and was thinking about buying 1000 of them.

Anyone knows any good hatcheries with a great price for started (17-week old) white leghorn pullets?

Any comments, suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks!

2. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    i paid 12 bucks for my year old dark brahma, 12 for my year old ee, and 10 for my rir(recently deceased) i have 2 black sexed links and 1 production red that are about 13-14 wks old i bought for 2.50ea...im curious if they are more docile if raised from chicks, which im pretty sure they'll be...but all in all, a big time saver and eggs almost immediately is a definate upside...and im sure in that time span they eat more than 12 bucks worth of food. if ur going to get only a few hens, i would go with the pullets.
    hope this helps,
    shaun

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    If you are going to order started pullets from a hatchery, be aware that they will probably have their beaks trimmed.

Also check the shipping charges. They can add up to a lot of money. You would need to call the different hatcheries and see if they will work out a deal with you on that many head.

1000 is a lot of Leghorn hens. I hope you have a place to sell all those white eggs.

Jean

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Murray McMurray sells them but they do trim thier beaks. I think you would do better costs wise to just order babies. 17 weeks is not that long.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  5. dachick

dachick New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys. Indeed, I checked with a few places and the shipping prices are indeed pretty hefty :eek: ! Almost as expensive as a chicken!

This being my first flock, I am a little scared of messing up and having all of them dead :| . I thought that 17-week pullets would be easier to manage. But with those prices, I dont think I have a choice [​IMG] .

Thanks a lot and if you have more suggestions or questions, please feel free to comment.

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Chicks are really easy and may be a good idea to start with, lets say 50. Get them raised and laying and then get more. That way you can judge the amount of work it will be in a more realistic number.

7. Double-T-Family-Farm

Double-T-Family-Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Midwest, Wisconsin
    you could order a free catalog from mcmurrayhatchery.com and check teher prices on started chickens and chicks..
    i bought a black austraorp roosters for $40 last week but that isnt a barnyard rooster thats one that i showand use for breeding.. perices like that u dont even want to take them out of the barn.. lol

8. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Hey...that's nothing ($). Look into the shipping cost! It's more than the cost of the birds. And...most hatcheries sell 17 week pullets that have been de-beaked on the top beak (to prevent pecking). This makes them look freakish.

9. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Wow, 1,000 leghorn pullets is quite a start.

You might see if there are any hatcheries within driving distance. We have a couple of small hatcheries that deal in numbers like that for the commerical production chicken farms.

They might give you a better price on 1,000 and you'd save on shipping.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if you think you got all the chicks in a row to get 1000 of them at once, I think you'll be able to get a good discount from a major hatchery. With numbers that large, you'll have to practice good flock management and keep a good eye out for picking and such. Point of lay pullets out here are going for between 10-25 each. I just rehomed 4 for 15 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by