17 wks old and not using roost bars...

I have nine silkies and they are around 12 weeks old and they all sleep on the floor too so maybe in time mine will roost.. they only issue I have is that they do not go in the coop at night, I actually have to put them in every night, getting old... any suggestions?

Be patient. Their instincts will kick in. Mine are now 22 and 25 weeks old and it took a few weeks for them to learn. I put them up on the stick a few times and then just left it up to them. They eventually took to it.

The few I have had to teach to roost I always have the lowest roost only about 4 inches off the ground. That way they can't just walk under it. Lately I have been putting a set of freestanding perches in the brooder for them to play on. By 10 weeks old they are sleeping on them.

Matt

Quote:
The funny thing is that when they're younger, they go visit the Big Chickens' Coop and roost there during the day, like they're playing at being Big Chickens. But at night, they still huddle together in their pile o' chicks, even though they're no longer CHICKS.

But I don't worry about it. They do eventually decide to roost at night.

Back
Top Bottom