18 Barred Rocks

Othylocke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Dothan, AL
So I am lucky enough to walk into my local Tractor Supply today when they just got a shipment of chicks in. I bought the lot of em. We had always planned to get Barred Rocks as soon as possible and now we do.

Did you buy 18 pullets or were they straight run?

Either way, you will have a lot of eggs by the end of August.

I hope your TSC got the pullets mine didn't - it's undetermined whether I have 3 girls/4 boys or 4 girls/3boys of the 7 I bought. I refuse to believe that I could have picked at least three gentlemen in ladies' clothing.

18, wowza! lucky find if they were sexed pullets!! great luck if they were straight run!!
thumbsup.gif

Straight run unfortunately. My TSC never sexes any of their "specialty" breeds. We are hoping that we get at least half female. The funniest thing is that my 2 week old red pullets were terrified of the new Rocks. They got over it overnight thankfully.

Barred Plymouth Rock is one of the most popular breed of chicken. What makes them a "specialty" breed, according to TSC?

Forgive me I meant featured breed. Basically each week they get in red pullets and straight run "featured" breed. They are never sure which breed they receive until they get there.

As an update, we got an additional 16 Barred Rocks with a few Dominiques with them. We lost 6 of the Rocks the first night. We currently have 35 chicks. They are enjoying the coop and hopefully we won't loose any more. One more shipment to TSC then it will have to wait till next year. Total cost for our first year is something like 700 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom