18 chicks with broody, do I need to use heating plate as well

choccycosmos

Chirping
6 Years
May 21, 2017
Hi All,
I have a broody hen (Wyandotte), who is sat on 19 eggs. I candled them two days ago and all seem to be growing and alive. Due to hatch in 7 days time. I'm worried that if most of them survive the hatch that they won't all be able to fit under her to keep warm. Once they hatch should I put my chick heater in the broody pen as well?
I do have another broody (australorpe) currently sat on some wooden eggs. Could I add her to the broody pen with the wyandotte, so they could tandem raise them?
Sorry, maybe these questions are stupid but it's my first hatch.
Thanks in advance :)

I have a broody hen (Wyandotte), who is sat on 19 eggs. I candled them two days ago and all seem to be growing and alive. Due to hatch in 7 days time. I'm worried that if most of them survive the hatch that they won't all be able to fit under her to keep warm.
If the eggs all fit under the hen, then that many chicks can also fit under her when they hatch.

Depending on the temperatures in your area, they might have enough feathers by the time they are too big to all fit, or they might not. But it will not be a problem in the first few days.

Once they hatch should I put my chick heater in the broody pen as well?
If you want to put the plate in the pen, it should not cause any problems (unless it makes the space too crowded), but I do not think it will do any good either.

If there is a hen present, the chicks will probably not go under a brooder plate, because the plate does not cluck and call them the way the hen does.

I do have another broody (australorpe) currently sat on some wooden eggs. Could I add her to the broody pen with the wyandotte, so they could tandem raise them?
If you want to have the second hen raise some chicks, I would give some to her in a different pen. You could give her chicks after they hatch, or eggs before they hatch.

I would not try putting another hen in the same space. Most hens will fight, rather than working together to raise the chicks.

If the eggs all fit under the hen, then that many chicks can also fit under her when they hatch.

Depending on the temperatures in your area, they might have enough feathers by the time they are too big to all fit, or they might not. But it will not be a problem in the first few days.

If you want to put the plate in the pen, it should not cause any problems (unless it makes the space too crowded), but I do not think it will do any good either.

If there is a hen present, the chicks will probably not go under a brooder plate, because the plate does not cluck and call them the way the hen does.

If you want to have the second hen raise some chicks, I would give some to her in a different pen. You could give her chicks after they hatch, or eggs before they hatch.

I would not try putting another hen in the same space. Most hens will fight, rather than working together to raise the chicks.
Thank you

I agree with all of this advice

I'd split the clutch in half now and put half under the other broody. If she abandons the eggs or chicks when they hatch because she hasn't sat for ling enough, then you can put her chicks under the first hen. Chances are she will be fine though, and 9 chicks is plenty each. But I separate new mamas with chicks for 1 to 2 weeks before integrating them with the flock, so the chicks have a chance at running away without getting caught in the melée of two fierce tiger mamas with claws flying duking it out!

Back
Top Bottom